Understanding the Role of c1c2 and 2b in the Energy in Accident Equation

In summary, In this equation, you are supposed to multiply c1 and c2 and multiply 2 and b. The final answer comes out to E=1726.66675.
Probie
Can someone please tell me what I am suppose to do with c1c2 and 2b in the following equation. I do not know if I am to mulitply, divide, subtract or add.

E= L * (( a /2 ) * ( c1 + c2) + b / 6 * ( c1² + c1c2 + c2² ) + ( a² / 2b))

Where: L = 1
a=375
b=45
c1=.33
c2=.33

My answer comes out to 62.205 but I do not know if this is right because I do not know what this c1c2 and 2b means.
Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
c1c2 means c1 multiplied by c2. 2b means 2 multiplied by b. Is that what you were after?

Yes, that is exactly what I needed to know. It sure made a difference in my answer...now I come up with E = 1726.66675 I sure do hope this is right. I am not a student and there is no way to check my findings.
Cristo...thanks very much for the prompt reply, this is very important to me...thank you.

Probie said:
Yes, that is exactly what I needed to know. It sure made a difference in my answer...now I come up with E = 1726.66675 I sure do hope this is right. I am not a student and there is no way to check my findings.
Cristo...thanks very much for the prompt reply, this is very important to me...thank you.

You're welcome. In general, whenever you see a combination "ab", it always means a multiplied by b; that is, for this sort of maths, the multiplication operator is the only one to be omitted in this way.

Thanks again cristo...this is a lesson I will never forget...thank you very much. ~ Probie

Related to Understanding the Role of c1c2 and 2b in the Energy in Accident Equation

1. What is the "Energy in accident equation"?

The "Energy in accident equation" is a formula used to calculate the amount of energy involved in an accident or collision. It is based on the principles of kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is the energy in an accident calculated?

The energy in an accident is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity squared, then dividing by two. This formula is known as the kinetic energy equation (KE = 1/2mv^2). The potential energy can also be calculated by multiplying the mass by the height and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Why is understanding energy in accidents important?

Understanding energy in accidents is important because it helps scientists and engineers design safer systems and structures. It also helps in predicting the amount of damage that may occur in an accident and finding ways to minimize it.

4. What are the units used to measure energy in the accident equation?

The units used to measure energy in the accident equation are joules (J) or newton-meters (N*m). These units are derived from the SI unit system and are commonly used in scientific calculations.

5. How does energy conservation apply to the accident equation?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the context of the accident equation, this means that the total amount of energy before and after an accident remains the same, but it can be transferred from kinetic energy to potential energy or vice versa.