Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Underwater hotel room

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't this be super fun...?

http://stylefrizz.com/200802/poseidon-underwater-hotel/
    underwater-hotel-fiji-room-view.jpg

...I mean... at least for the first 3-4 minutes before the claustophobia kicks in and you start hyperventilating and clawing frantically to escape.

But if you're into this sort of thing, you and your sweetie can live the life of a sea monkey couple in your deluxe habitat for only $30,000 a week.

poseidon-underwater-hotel-fiji-room.jpg

It's in Fiji somewhere, and they haven't finished building it yet, but you could probably go ahead and make a reservation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think I would have an issue with all the divers gliding by. Or at least my g/f might...

EDIT -- in fact, you can see that the couple is having that exact problem in the 2nd picture...

4. Jun 9, 2010 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With my luck, it would rain all week.

5. Jun 9, 2010 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

And beyond that - I couldn't pee with the cast of The Little Mermaid watching me.

:rofl:

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Only $30K/wk? Sign me up!

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6
    Not to beg but...
    PPPLLLLEEAASSEEE TAKE MEEEEE!!!!

8. Jun 9, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow that's so awesome!

But I'm not sure I could really sleep there, I'd be worried about the whole dang thing getting swamped. There's no such thing as "perfectly safe"...I mean, no one expected the Titanic to sink.

9. Jun 9, 2010 #8
    What's the room service called, mermaid?

10. Jun 9, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I'm sorry. Daryl Hannah gets first refusal. (And last refusal, too, including all the begging required.)

11. Jun 9, 2010 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That is so cool. If it was about 10 feet under water and had an escape tube to the surface, I'd do a day or two. I've gone on one through one of the longest aquarium tunnels before and wondered what would happen if it busted.

12. Jun 9, 2010 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My sister stayed overnight in the real one. Wish I could find the pix.

13. Jun 9, 2010 #12

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Hopefully BP doesn't drill anywhere near there. This looks like a fantastic hotel! I'd stay there if cash was no object.

14. Jun 9, 2010 #13
    I opened this thread only to post that. I wouldn't be able to breathe in there either. I am not sure it would help much even if you are awake and all comes down.

15. Jun 9, 2010 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should have you reach the hotel by putting in you in an old inoperable car and rolling you off the pier, where a cable eventually drags the car into an underwater garage. That would make people appreciate the hotel room even more.

16. Jun 10, 2010 #15
    Let's hope the guy that maintains the ventilation systems doesn't get lazy before the earthquake.

Think they need a window washer?

~the door is ajar.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  17. Jun 10, 2010 #16
    Dubai is building one called Hydropolis

18. Jun 10, 2010 #17
    Think about it, would it even be half as fun if there were no risk of dying? I seem to remember going up to the top of the CN tower (or some Canadian tower) and jumping on those windows they have despite knowing it was a stupid idea.

19. Jun 10, 2010 #18
    I remember seeing a clip many years ago where a person tries to demonstrate strength of glass windows but it breaks and he dies.. only if I could remember if that was from movie, show, or where,...

20. Jun 10, 2010 #19

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a great hotel. I would love to stay there. :approve:

That was a lawyer in Toronto.

(1996, Toronto) Police said a lawyer demonstrating the safety of windows in a downtown Toronto skyscraper crashed through a pane of glass with his shoulder and plunged twenty-four floors to his death. A police spokesman said Garry, thirty-nine, fell into the courtyard of the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower as he was explaining the strength of the building's windows to visiting law students. Garry had previously conducted the demonstration of window strength without mishap, according to police reports. The managing partner of the law firm that employed the deceased told the Toronto Sun newspaper that Garry was "one of the best and brightest" members of the two-hundred-man association.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1996-01.html" [Broken]
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/window.asp" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook