Underwater Pyramids - manmade or not?

• Thread starter member 5645
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Underwater
In summary, divers have located eight separate locations in the waters around Okinawa and Yonaguni, with the first sighting in March 1995. Despite initial uncertainty about the manmade identity of the structures due to heavy coral encrustation, a huge, angular platform was discovered in the summer of 1996. This site has received little coverage and is believed by most of the scientific community to be naturally formed. However, there are convincing arguments for both sides, with the primary researcher being convinced that the structures are manmade. Some believe that the structures could have been built by an advanced civilization that lived long before known history, while others attribute the right angles and holes to natural processes. The credibility of the sources discussing these structures
member 5645
In the waters around Okinawa and beyond to the small island of Yonaguni, divers located eight separate locations beginning in March 1995. That first sighting was equivocal - a provocative, squared structure, so encrusted with coral that its manmade identity was uncertain. Then, as recently as the summer of 1996, a sports diver accidentally discovered a huge, angular platform about 40 feet below the surface, off the southwestern shore of Okinawa.

Pictures...
http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/phikent/japan/japan2.html
http://www.morien-institute.org/yonaguni_schoch1.html
Article...
http://www.lauralee.com/japan.htm

This site has had almost no coverage, and most of the scientific community thinks they are just naturally made.
I watched a history channel special on them, and there are some pretty convincing explanations for both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a geologist so I don't know if structures like that could really form naturally, but isn't it possible that they were made by humans on an island above sea level that for some reason sank? Japan is very near a large fault line, could the island those were built on been sunken due to some sort of underwater earthquake or other tectonic plate activity?

Originally posted by wasteofo2
I'm not a geologist so I don't know if structures like that could really form naturally, but isn't it possible that they were made by humans on an island above sea level that for some reason sank? Japan is very near a large fault line, could the island those were built on been sunken due to some sort of underwater earthquake or other tectonic plate activity?

I think the problem is that this would mean an advanced civilization lived long before anyone had thought, or that any archeological evidence would otherwise support. It seems that these could be and likely are completely natural formations. The rock breaks off in layers [thick sheets] which are alleged what produces the right angles. Debris has long ago been carried away by the action of the oceans tides. A couple of holes were found that looked to be artificial, but it is felt that these too can be explained by natural processes.

On the other hand, the primary researcher, a respected Japanese archeologist, and one of the few experts in SCUBA archeology, is convinced otherwise.

Last edited:
They look like they are manmade to my untrained eyes, but the age presents a problem (though the third site makes it sound like there is no consensus on age).

In either case, the link at the bottom of the first page of the first link and the home page itself set off my credibility alarm so loud it hurts my ears.

Originally posted by russ_watters

In either case, the link at the bottom of the first page of the first link and the home page itself set off my credibility alarm so loud it hurts my ears.

Hence the reason I posted those pages under "pictures" :p

1. Are underwater pyramids manmade or natural formations?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that underwater pyramids are manmade. The majority of these structures are located in areas with active tectonic activity, suggesting they are most likely natural formations.

2. How were these underwater pyramids built?

Again, there is no definitive answer to this question. Some theories suggest that they were built using advanced technology by ancient civilizations, while others propose that they are the result of geological processes.

3. What is the purpose of these underwater pyramids?

The purpose of these structures, if they are indeed manmade, is still a subject of debate. Some researchers believe that they served as religious or ceremonial sites, while others suggest they were used for navigation or as part of an ancient civilization's infrastructure.

4. Have any artifacts or evidence been found inside these underwater pyramids?

Several artifacts have been found near these structures, but none have been definitively linked to their construction. Some researchers have also discovered unusual features such as perfectly cut stones and geometric patterns, but more research is needed to determine their significance.

5. What is the current scientific consensus on underwater pyramids?

There is currently no scientific consensus on the origin or purpose of underwater pyramids. While some researchers believe they are manmade, others argue that they are natural formations. Further research and exploration is needed to fully understand these mysterious structures.