Undetermined Coefficients, more than one term on RHS

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation with multiple terms on the right hand side. The process involves finding the homogeneous equation and using formulas to find the particular solution. The particular solution is found by summing the individual solutions for each term on the right hand side. It is important to note that the solution may need to be modified if a root appears in the auxiliary equation.
Linday12

Homework Statement

y''-49y=7cos(7x)+7+e^(7x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve this Differential equation. I could solve one that has y''-49y=one term, but I'm stumped with more than one.

First, I get the homogeneous equation, y''-49y=0 and fine y_c, then use the formulas to get y_p, but that is where I'm stumped, since I'm not sure how to find it with the 3 terms on the R.H.S.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just add the yp]'s for the individual functions.

For example, if your RHS was ex+cosx, your yp would be
yp=Aex+Bcosx+Csinx.

Awesome. That sounds like exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

for more than one term on the right hand side you just sum up the result. i.e for 7cos(7x)
yp=Acos(wx)+Bsin(wx). for 7 yp=C and for e^(7x) yp=De^([tex]\lambda[/tex]x)
using sum rule yp=Acos(wx)+Bsin(wx)+C+De^([tex]\lambda[/tex]x)

edit: guess rock beat me to it

Linday12 said:
Awesome. That sounds like exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Just be sure to note that you will have to modify your yp a bit, since '7' appears as a root in your auxiliary equation.

1. What is the undetermined coefficients method?

The undetermined coefficients method is a technique used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It involves assuming a general form for the particular solution and then solving for the undetermined coefficients using the method of undetermined coefficients.

2. How is the method of undetermined coefficients used for equations with more than one term on the right-hand side?

For equations with more than one term on the right-hand side, the method of undetermined coefficients involves finding a particular solution for each term separately and then adding them together to get the overall particular solution.

3. What are the steps for using the undetermined coefficients method?

The steps for using the undetermined coefficients method are as follows:

1. Identify the order of the differential equation and the highest derivative present.
  2. Assume a general form for the particular solution.
  3. Substitute the assumed solution into the original equation and solve for the undetermined coefficients.
  4. If the assumed solution contains any terms that are also solutions to the homogeneous equation, multiply by t until all terms are linearly independent.
  5. Add all particular solutions together to get the overall particular solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the undetermined coefficients method?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the undetermined coefficients method include:

• Assuming a solution that is already a solution to the homogeneous equation.
  • Assuming a solution that is already present in the complementary function.
  • Not accounting for any repeated roots when solving for the undetermined coefficients.

5. Can the undetermined coefficients method be used for non-linear differential equations?

No, the undetermined coefficients method can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. For non-linear differential equations, other methods such as variation of parameters or the use of power series must be used.