Unexpected Magnetic Experiment Results

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of placing a steel cup on one end of a permanent magnet and how it can increase the pull at the opposite end. The speaker shares their own experiment with a neodymium magnet and a machined cup, but finds that the cup actually reduces the attraction. Other participants suggest making the hole in the cup larger and using a non-magnetic bushing to center the magnet, which should increase the pull. Additionally, the speaker shares that they included a tapped hole in the cup to easily remove the magnet.
wmingin
Hello All!

I read that placing a steel cup on one end of a permanent magnet will increase the "pull" at the opposite end. Having far too much time on my hands, I decided to perform my own test, to see how much the pull is increased. I found a neodymium cylinder magnet, 1 inch diameter and one inch long. I then machined a cup 2" diameter, 1-1/2" long, with a 7/8" deep x 1" diameter hole in one end. This gave me a steel cup with 1/2" wall and 1/2" floor. I attached a small steel rod to the strain gauge and measured the results with a 3/8" air gap steel to magnet. Here are the results...

Magent with no cup: 3lbs / 5oz.

Magnet with cup: 2lbs / 8oz.

The cup seems to have REDUCED the attraction!

What gives?

Cheers!

Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
You made your hole diameter to small. It is shorting out your magnet. Make your hole 1- 1/4" in diameter. You will also need a bushing to keep the magnet in the center of the hole. Make your bushing out of plastic, wood, copper, aluminium, or anything else that is not attracked by the magnet. This will increase the pull of the magnet. Good Luck.

How did you get the neodymium magnet out of the cup? I would have suggested a 1" deep by 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" dia hole. The cross section of the outer shell should be at least the cross section of the neodymium magnet, 0.785 square inches..
Bob S

Hi Bob!

Thanks for the reply! When I milled the cup, I included a 1/4-20 tapped hole in the bottom to provide a means to push the magnet out. You're right, If not for the tapped hole, the magnet would still be in the cup (maybe forever).

I'll try your suggestions. Thanks Again!

Cheers!

Bill

What is an unexpected magnetic experiment result?

An unexpected magnetic experiment result is a finding that goes against the predicted outcome based on existing theories and models. It could be a result that is significantly different from previous experiments or one that cannot be explained by current scientific understanding.

What are some factors that can lead to unexpected magnetic experiment results?

There are several factors that can contribute to unexpected magnetic experiment results. These include errors in the experimental setup or procedure, contamination of the samples, or unaccounted external influences such as temperature or electromagnetic interference.

How do scientists deal with unexpected magnetic experiment results?

When faced with unexpected results, scientists will carefully analyze and evaluate the data to determine the cause. They may also repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure the accuracy of their findings. Additionally, they may collaborate with other researchers to discuss and review the results.

Can unexpected magnetic experiment results lead to new discoveries?

Yes, unexpected magnetic experiment results can often lead to new discoveries and breakthroughs in scientific understanding. These results can challenge existing theories and inspire new ideas and hypotheses to explain the unexpected findings.

How can unexpected magnetic experiment results impact future research?

Unexpected magnetic experiment results can lead to new avenues of research and can influence the direction of future studies in the field. They can also prompt scientists to reevaluate and refine existing theories and models to incorporate the new findings into the scientific understanding of magnetism.