Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unexpected scientists

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    Hi all.

During the past, there have been a few times where I have looked up someones profile online ("someone" meaning e.g. politicians, actors etc.) to find out that they have a background in physics/engineering.

I thought it could be fun to make a list of these "discoveries".

Mine are

Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) holds a M.Sc. in EE
    Angela Merkel (the Prime Minister of Germany) holds a Ph.d. in physical chemistry
    Brian Kernighan (one of the inventors of C) holds a B.Sc. in engineering physics
    Tim Berners-Lee (invented the WWW) holds a B.Sc. in physics

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are the last two surprising?

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3
    They were for me. I thought they were computer scientists.

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_May" [Broken], lead guitarist for Queen...and an astrophysicist.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Aug 25, 2009 #5
    Sarah Palin has a B.S... that surprised me.

7. Aug 25, 2009 #6
    I don't want to bother looking them up, but many of the writers for Futurama hold PhD's in various maths and sciences.

8. Aug 25, 2009 #7
    Philip Rosedale the founder of Second Life was a physics major.

9. Aug 25, 2009 #8
    depends on what B.S. stands for...

10. Aug 25, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maggie Thatcher (British PM in the 80s) had a BSc in chemistry. In an interview somebody asked if her science knowledge had every come in handy, she mentioned some report on US star-wars where the advocate had said they need 10^20W (or whatever) to shoot down a missile and in tests had managed 10^10W - the other politicians had said "excellent so we are half-way there"!

11. Aug 25, 2009 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

12. Aug 25, 2009 #11
    Oh yeah, I forgot me... Flatmaster Physics major, chem minor. I might have a masters in science education, I'm not sure.

13. Aug 25, 2009 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...an unexpected Master's degree...?

14. Aug 25, 2009 #13
    Random credits from several universities. Someone might give me a masters.

15. Aug 25, 2009 #14

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lizzy Hawker -one of the best ultramarathon runners in the world- has a PhD in environmental science (as far as I remebember she is an oceanographer)

Greg Graffin (singer in the punk-rock band Bad Religion) has a PhD in biology and actually teaches a course at UCLA....

16. Aug 25, 2009 #15
  17. Aug 25, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18. Aug 25, 2009 #17
    or civil ungineering

19. Aug 25, 2009 #18
    Or civil deengineering?

20. Aug 25, 2009 #19
  21. Aug 25, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Lots of rich Saudis are educated in the sciences. The men, at least.

22. Aug 25, 2009 #21

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Isaac Asimov had a Ph.D. in biochemistry (okay, so that's probably not so surprising; many SF types have Ph.Ds or at least a degree or two in hard sciences / engineering):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov

and Alfred Hitchcock went to Engineering school:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Hitchcock

EDIT: Another list, but mostly Civil types. I'd heard somewhere that Carlos Mencia was an EE:
    http://ertw.com/engineering/FamousEngineers.html

Also, Dolph Lundgren (the giant Russian from Rocky IV) has a Master's in Chemical Engineering:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolph_Lundgren

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  23. Aug 25, 2009 #22

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Taxi's Judd Hirsch has a degree in physics.

24. Aug 25, 2009 #23
    Ashton Kutcher was in biomedical engineering before leaving uni because he was making more money modeling.

25. Aug 25, 2009 #24

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Random fact: After the 9/11 attacks he said he was surprised the towers collapsed. Being a civil engineer, that's not just a random guess.

26. Aug 25, 2009 #25
    I remember hearing them in interview a while back saying that all of the members had degrees. I don't remember who had what though and I am sure that their line up has changed since then.

I've heard that all of the members of GWAR have had white collar office jobs and that the original purpose of their costumes and fake names was to keep people from finding out who they really were. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any sites talking about what their real day jobs are/were. I wonder if any of them are scientists or engineers.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook