Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
jarednjames said:I DON'T in my exams, so how is my statement wrong? If I don't have books in my exams, it is not like a real world situation.
...I wasn't talking about your exams.
jarednjames said:I DON'T in my exams, so how is my statement wrong? If I don't have books in my exams, it is not like a real world situation.
Cyrus said:...I wasn't talking about your exams.
Indeed I did, I apologise.Cyrus said:You misread what I wrote Hoot.
jarednjames said:Then where? I said real world is like assignments, and that you have materials in both. Please point out what you were talking about.
. Although that is something I disagree with, I think exams should be open book as that reflects more on your ability to use your own knowledge and materials correctly, as in real world (again, this view also relates to my problem above).
Cyrus said:You said:
Dammit, now I misread you! I thought you said exams shouldn't be open book.
Forget what I said earlier.
jarednjames said:Already done, fair enough.
Out of curiosity, do you prefer open or closed book? I mean, yeah closed book are a good judgement of what a person has learnt, but to me it doesn't reflect real life. What type of questions do you get? Mine are usually example based on a real life situation (another reason they should be open book). I suppose it comes down to what you want to test.
Cyrus said:It depends on the level of the class. For junior/senior/graduate level work, I've mostly had open book or open note exams. The reason is that you simply don't have time to read the book during the exam. It's only useful for finding the equations and tables in the back. Even then, you're better off putting the major formulas on a sheet and using that sheet instead of the book because flipping pages for each equation takes time.
For freshman/sophomore courses the equations are so basic it makes more sense to have them memorize it.
jarednjames said:Of course, I understand the whole memorizing of basic equations, but at the same time I have 4 classes running together and so the quantity mounts quickly. Escpecially as you progress through the years, the amount of equations alongside the other materials puts far too much strain on you when it comes to remembering it.
Cyrus said:I don't know what courses you're taking, but 4 sophomore courses is cake compared to what your junior/senior courses will be. Welcome to engineering.
Cyrus said:What do you think happens in real world engineering? Project deadlines have to be met. In other words, you have to work, and work quickly much like an exam. (It's not 100% the same, but the point still stands).
jarednjames said:Sophomore? not sure what that is, as far as I am aware is I am an undergraduate and after completion I will be a graduate.
cristo said:Furthermore, whilst you may mock the notion of stress, exams are far more stressful than other deadlines, purely because .
there is absolutely no going back: you make a mistake in the three hours you're in the exam room, and you fail
cristo said:Sorry, but it's nothing like the same! Note that we're talking about undergraduate exams here, and not the exams that you're taking in graduate level courses. You admitted yourself in another thread that you were doing some modelling and to find out how the thing works you call up the designer, or look in the manual. You can't do this in an exam! Furthermore, whilst you may mock the notion of stress, exams are far more stressful than other deadlines, purely because there is absolutely no going back: you make a mistake in the three hours you're in the exam room, and you fail.
rootX said:You get fired at job.
Cyrus said:Of course you can't talk to others during the exam to get information, but that wasn't the point I was making. The point was that I know where to go to get the information.
If the teacher gives you a practice exam, you should know where to go to do well on the exam. Heck, the teacher even did the leg work for you by giving you the exam! (You don't get this in the real world, you have to find it on your own!)
cristo said:You don't get fired for making one mistake, otherwise there would be a lot of out of work engineers walking around with nothing to do!
You know with hindsight where to get the information; that is, you either think about a problem, then go and look it up in a book (or phone calls etc..), or while you're doing something and get stuck, you then turn to your computer program, or your book for help. But, unlike in an exam, you don't know what information to fill your head with before you know exactly what problem you'll be tackling!
It wasn't a practice exam, he presumably looked up the previous years' exam papers (which are available at all universities).
The thing he was annoyed about what that some students memorised the answers to the past two years' exams, whereas he at least tried to study, not only the last 5 years' exams, but also the course material. Clearly, any idiot can memorise solutions and, given the exam is sufficiently similar to the one you've memorised the solutions for, will score highly.
This is why he is claiming the situation is unfair, and I agree, it is unfair for an exam to be sufficiently similar to the previous year's that memorising solutions will give a chance of getting 90% in the exam. That's not testing anything other than memory.
Cyrus said:I don't know what you mean by "hindsight"?
I'm not doing anything with hindsight. I don't understand what you wrote in bold, as I never said anything of the sort (you just made that part up).
In the UK, perhaps. Here, no.
Again, why is this "unfair". He had the same "fairness" as they did, he just didn't use it to his advantage. That's his fault, and a problem with his professors exams.
xxChrisxx said:I have never heard of anywhere that does release answers (because they are smart enough to realize that it would be open to abuse), although I do suppose it could happen.
cristo said:You don't know what hindsight means?![]()
). I meant I didn't know what you meant by it's context. Any sources you go digging in after you've been given the problem to work on is done with hindsight when compared to doing an exam where you don't know what problem you are going to be asked.
My point is that it is much easier to know what information you will need when you know what you have to solve. Or, to put it another way, it doesn't matter one bit if you know where to look for information when you are stuck in an exam room without the said resources!
It's not unfair in the sense that he was in a worse position than his peers, but an exam which is simply the same as the last year with different numbers is not representative of the students' knowledge of the subject (since, as I said, anyone can simply memorise the solutions). In this sense, it is an unfair assessment of the subject.
cristo said:I know of loads of courses where the past exam solutions were available. In fact, at my undergrad university there was a whole section of the library full of solutions to previous exam papers. Even if they're not, though, you can go to the lecturer during their office hour and discuss questions from previous exam papers, from which you can construct questions.
Cyrus said:I know what the word means, you plonker
Ok, but you know the problems are coming from the book in the course...so...??
cristo said:hmm.. Last time i checked there was only one side capable of wiping the others existence here at a touch of a button![]()