[Uni Physics 2] Inductance Problem

In summary, two identical long wires with radius a = 2.90 mm, parallel and carrying identical currents of i = 5.00 A in opposite directions, have a center-to-center separation of W = 17.0 cm. The problem asks for the inductance per unit length of the wires, considering the flux in the region between them. The approach involves finding the incremental inductance/length by integrating the magnetic field between the wires from r to a certain distance. The final expression for the inductance per unit length is 2⋅∫B⋅dx/I.
jonathanlv7

Homework Statement

Two identical long wires of radius a = 2.90 mm are parallel and carry identical currents of i = 5.00 A in opposite directions. Their center-to-center separation is W = 17.0 cm. Neglect the flux within the wires but consider the flux in the region between the wires. What is the inductance per unit length of the wires?

The problem looks like this | |

Homework Equations

L = Flux/Current Flux = B*A

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was integrate (10^-7)2I/x from r to w-r. After the integration I multiplied by d (variable I assigned as the height of the configuration) because I need the total magnetic field that goes through the entire area between the wires.

Then I doubled this result because both wires create magnetic fields with the same magnitude and direction in the entire area. Next, I multiplied this result by the area of the section between them which I got to be d(w-2r) -- d is the height of the wires, however, I am aware that in the context of the problem the wires are infinitely long. Lastly I divided by I*d to get the inductance. My final expression is 4d(w-2r)(10^-7)[ln(w-r)-ln(r)] I calculated the answer and it is wrong. Some help would be amazing! Thanks!
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
First your notation for inductance is incorrect.

L =Φ/I

Your approach is correct but You do not need to know or assume the "height" of the array. Since you want the inductance/ length you just need to find the flux . per unit length (dΦ) , i.e. the incremental inductance/length =( incremental flux/length) /current

dL = dΦ/I =∫ ( Ba+Bb )⋅da/I = 2⋅∫B.dl.dx/I where x is the distance from the wire.

∴ dL = 2⋅ dl⋅∫B⋅dx/I --> dL/dl = 2⋅∫B⋅dx/I where the integral is taken from r to, not w-r but, ?

1. What is inductance in Uni Physics 2?

Inductance is a measure of the ability of a circuit to produce an electromotive force by changing the current flowing through it. It is measured in units of henries (H) and is represented by the symbol L.

2. How is inductance related to capacitance?

Inductance and capacitance are two fundamental properties of circuits that are closely related. They are inversely proportional to each other, meaning that an increase in inductance will result in a decrease in capacitance, and vice versa.

3. How does inductance affect the behavior of circuits?

Inductance plays a key role in the behavior of circuits by affecting the flow of current and the production of electromotive force. It can cause delays in current flow and can also store energy, which can be released when the current changes.

4. How is inductance calculated?

The inductance of a circuit can be calculated using the formula L = μN^2A/l, where μ is the permeability of the material, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

5. What are some real-world applications of inductance?

Inductance has many practical applications, such as in transformers, motors, generators, and electronic filters. It is also used in wireless charging, electromagnets, and power transmission systems.