Uniform Acceleration problem dealing with time and x variables?

In summary, the object's acceleration can be calculated using the formula 2(x-vt)/t^2, where x is the change in x coordinate, v is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. In this problem, the acceleration was incorrectly calculated due to a mistake in substituting the values for v and t. The correct answer is -0.367 cm/s^2.
OUmecheng

Homework Statement

An object moving with uniform acceleration has a velocity of 14.0 cm/s in the positive x direction when its x coordinate is 3.00 cm. If its x coordinate 2.00 s later is -5.00 cm, what is its acceleration?

Homework Equations

deltaX=V naught t + (1/2)at^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

2(X-Vt)/t^2 = a

I rewrote the equation and plugged in the variables... Didn't seem to get the right answer. I'm all out of ideas... I really don't know where to go from there... I've spent 30mins on this problem so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is correct. What answer did you get? If you show the details of the substitution it should be easy to pinpoint the error (if there is one).

= 2((-5.00 cm-3.00 cm) - (14.0 cm/s)(2.00 s)) / (14.0 cm/s)^2

= 2(-8 cm - 28 cm) / 196 cm^2/s^2

= -0.367 cm/s^2NOT the correct answer.

= 2((-5.00 cm-3.00 cm) - (14.0 cm/s)(2.00 s)) / (14.0 cm/s)^2
In place of your 14.0, I had 2. The time is 2, not 14.

Delphi51 said:
In place of your 14.0, I had 2. The time is 2, not 14.

ahhhhhh thank you!

I am brilliant haha.

Everyone has made their share of little mistakes!

1. What is the formula for calculating time in a uniform acceleration problem?

In a uniform acceleration problem, the formula for calculating time is t = (vf - vi) / a, where t is the time, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I find the final position (x) in a uniform acceleration problem?

The final position (x) in a uniform acceleration problem can be calculated using the formula x = xi + vit + 1/2at^2, where xi is the initial position, vi is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

3. What is the difference between uniform acceleration and non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration refers to a constant rate of change in velocity, while non-uniform acceleration refers to a changing rate of acceleration. In other words, in a uniform acceleration problem, the acceleration remains the same throughout the motion, but in a non-uniform acceleration problem, the acceleration changes over time.

4. Can the time variable be negative in a uniform acceleration problem?

No, time cannot be negative in a uniform acceleration problem. Time is always a positive quantity, as it measures the duration of an event or motion.

5. How can I determine the acceleration in a uniform acceleration problem?

The acceleration in a uniform acceleration problem can be determined by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.