1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform continuity and derivatives

1. Jul 25, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) f is some function who has a bounded derivative in (a,b). In other words, there's some M>0 so that |f'(x)|<M for all x in (a,b).
    Prove that f is bounded in (a,b).
    2) f has a bounded second derivative in (a,b), prove that f in uniformly continues in (a,b).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) For all x in (a,b), (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a) = f'(c) =>
    |f(x)-f(a)| = |f'(c)||x-a| =< M|b-a| (c is in (a,x))
    and so
    f(a) - M|b-a| =< f(x) >= f(a) + M|b-a| and so f(x) is bounded in (a,b).

2)Using (1) we see that f'(x) is bounded in (a,b). So there's some M>0 so that |f'(x)|<=M. And so for all x,y in (a,b)
    (f(x)-f(y))/(x-y) = f'(c) =< |M| and so
    |f(x)-f(y)| =< |x-y|M and it's easy to see that f is UC in (a,b).

Did I do that right? It some what bothers me that in (1) I also could have proved that f is UC which is a stronger result than the fact that it's bounded the same way that I proved it in (2). Is that right? If so then why did they only ask to prove that it was bounded?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2007 #2
    Theorem: Let [tex]f[/tex] be continous on a (possibly infinite) interval [tex]I[/tex]. Let [tex]J[/tex] be the open interval without the endpoints of [tex]I[/tex]. If [tex]f[/tex] is differentiable on [tex]J[/tex] and [tex]|f'|\leq M[/tex] then [tex]f[/tex] is uniformly continous on [tex]I[/tex].

Proof:Chose [tex]M>0[/tex] so that [tex]|f'(x)|\leq M[/tex] for all [tex]x\in J[/tex]. For any [tex]\epsilon > 0 [/tex] choose [tex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon }{M}[/tex].
    Choose [tex]a<b[/tex] with [tex]b-a<\delta[/tex]. By Mean Value Theorem: [tex]\exists x \in (a,b)[/tex] so that [tex]f'(x) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/tex].
    Thus,
    [tex]|f(b)-f(a)| = |f'(x)||b-a|\leq M|b-a| < M\delta = M\cdot \frac{\epsilon}{M} = \epsilon[/tex].

-Wolfgang.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?