Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Convergence and integration

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    What can I conclude using the following theorem?

Let the functions [tex] u_n (x) [/tex] be continuous on the closed interval [tex] a \le x \le b[/tex] and let them converge uniformly on this interval to the limit function [tex] u(x) [/tex]. Then

[tex]
    \int_a^b u (x) \, dx=\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_a^b u_n (x) \, dx
    [/tex]

Can I conclude that if [itex] \int_a^b u (x) \, dx \neq \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_a^b u_n (x) \, dx [/itex], then the sequence of functions [itex] u_n (x) [/itex] is NOT uniformly convergent on the interval?

-Also what is the contrapositive of the above theorem? (I am confused on how to negate [itex] P [/itex]=" Let the functions [itex] u_n (x) [/itex] be continuous on the closed interval [itex] a \le x \le b[/itex] and let them converge uniformly on this interval to the limit function [itex] u(x) [/itex]." )

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2
    If you get confused by logic, then try to assign symbols for different statements, and reduce the problem to a simpler form. If you know

[tex]
    A\quad\textrm{and}\quad B\implies C
    [/tex]

then you also know

[tex]
    \textrm{not}\; C\implies (\textrm{not}\;A)\quad\textrm{or}\quad(\textrm{not}\;B)
    [/tex]

Your example is slightly more confusing than it would need to be, because continuity of [itex]u_n[/itex] is not highly essential. If [itex]u_n[/itex] and [itex]u[/itex] are integrable, and [itex]u_n\to u[/itex] uniformly, then

[tex]
    \lim_{n\to\infty} \int\limits_a^b u_n(x)dx = \int\limits_a^b u(x) dx.
    [/tex]

Substituting [itex]A[/itex] to be the knowledge that [itex]u_n[/itex] are all continuous, [itex]B[/itex] to be the knowledge that [itex]u_n\to u[/itex] uniformly, and [itex]C[/itex] to be the knowledge that the limit and integral commute, might bring some clarity.

I would also set [itex]D[/itex] to be the knowledge that [itex]u_n[/itex] and [itex]u[/itex] are integrable. Then

[tex]
    B\quad\textrm{and}\quad D\implies C
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    A\quad\textrm{and}\quad B\implies D
    [/tex]

(additional comment: I just realized that if [itex]u_n[/itex] are integrable and if [itex]u_n\to u[/itex] uniformly, then probably [itex]u[/itex] is integrable too, but I'm not 100% sure of this right now. It could be that some parts of my response are not the most sense making, but I think there is nothing incorrect there anyway.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  4. Aug 13, 2009 #3
    How would you get [tex] \neg A [/tex]? Do you negate closed and the interval as [itex]a>x>b[/itex]?

Or in other words,

" Assume the functions [tex] u_n (x) [/tex] are not continuous on the not closed interval [tex] a > x > b[/tex]"?

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4
    I would keep the assumption that the functions are of form [itex]u_n:[a,b]\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] untouched, and only let [itex]A[/itex] concern the continuity.

It should be recognized that there is true ambiguity in questions like this. If I declare that [itex]u_n[/itex] will always have the domain [itex][a,b][/itex], and then state that [itex]A[/itex] means that [itex]u_n[/itex] are all continuous, than [itex]\neg A[/itex] will simply mean that [itex]u_n[/itex] are not all continuous. This is what I meant originally.

Alternatively one could state that [itex]A[/itex] means that [itex]u_n[/itex] all have the domain [itex][a,b][/itex] and that [itex]u_n[/itex] are all continuous. Then [itex]\neg A[/itex] would mean that [itex]u_n[/itex] don't all have the domain [itex][a,b][/itex] or that [itex]u_n[/itex] are not all continuous.

You must know yourself what you mean by [itex]A[/itex], before asking what [itex]\neg A[/itex] is.

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5

How does one know when to do this?

7. Aug 13, 2009 #6
    My fear is what if I "choose" the wrong statement A like I did in post #3? How would I know what the "right" statement is?

8. Aug 14, 2009 #7
    There are no right or wrong choices for [itex]A[/itex]. What matters is that you know what you have chosen.

Once [itex]A[/itex] has been fixed, there can be right or wrong deductions, however.

(There was a movie where somebody said something like "there's no right or wrong decisions. What matters is that you dare to make a decision". It could be this is slightly off topic, though.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook