Uniform convergence integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the limit of the integral of f_k(x) as k approaches infinity exists. It is suggested that if f_k(x) converges to 0 uniformly and is integrable, the limit can be moved inside and the integral will exist. However, when trying to show that f_k(x) is integrable from 0 to 1, a problem arises due to the exponent on the bottom needing to be less than 1, which conflicts with the given constraints. It is mentioned that this may not be a concern, as f is continuous and integrable on [0,1].
samithie
f is a continuous function on [0,infinity) such that 0<=f(x)<=Cx^(-1-p) where C,p >0 f_k(x) = kf(kx)

I want to show that lim k->infinity ∫from 0 to 1 of f_k(x) dx exists

so my idea is if I have that f_k(x) converges to f(x)=0 uniformly which I was able to show and that f_k(x) are all integrable, then the limit can be moved inside and so this thing will exist.

to show f_k(x) is integrable from 0 to 1, I replaced it with Cx^(-1-p) and ran into a problem, this is only integrable from 0 to 1 when the exponent (1+p) on the bottom now needs to be <1 which requires p to be less than 0 but p is given to be > 0. is my understanding of integrability of improper integrals correct or is it something else I'm doing wrong. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
samithie said:
f is a continuous function on [0,infinity) such that 0<=f(x)<=Cx^(-1-p) where C,p >0 f_k(x) = kf(kx)

I want to show that lim k->infinity ∫from 0 to 1 of f_k(x) dx exists

so my idea is if I have that f_k(x) converges to f(x)=0 uniformly which I was able to show and that f_k(x) are all integrable, then the limit can be moved inside and so this thing will exist.

to show f_k(x) is integrable from 0 to 1, I replaced it with Cx^(-1-p) and ran into a problem, this is only integrable from 0 to 1 when the exponent (1+p) on the bottom now needs to be <1 which requires p to be less than 0 but p is given to be > 0. is my understanding of integrability of improper integrals correct or is it something else I'm doing wrong. Thanks a lot.

You don't have to worry much about what happens on [0,1] particularly near 0. You are given that f is continuous on [0,1]. It integrable on [0,1]. f is much better behaved there than your bounding function is.

thanks that's very helpful!

What is uniform convergence integration?

Uniform convergence integration is a mathematical concept that refers to the convergence of a sequence of functions to a single function in such a way that the convergence is uniform across the entire domain of the functions. This means that the rate of convergence is consistent and does not depend on any specific point in the domain.

How is uniform convergence integration different from pointwise convergence integration?

Pointwise convergence integration only requires that the sequence of functions converges to a single function at each point in the domain, whereas uniform convergence integration requires that the convergence is consistent across the entire domain. This means that pointwise convergence may not guarantee the convergence of integrals, while uniform convergence does.

What is the significance of uniform convergence integration in mathematical analysis?

Uniform convergence integration is important in mathematical analysis because it allows for the interchange of limits and integrals. This means that if a sequence of functions converges uniformly to a function, then the integral of the sequence of functions will also converge to the integral of the limit function.

What are some examples of functions that converge uniformly but not pointwise?

One example is the sequence of functions f_n(x) = x^n on the interval [0,1]. This sequence converges pointwise to the function f(x) = 0 for x < 1 and f(x) = 1 for x = 1, but the convergence is not uniform. Another example is the sequence of functions f_n(x) = nxe^-nx on the interval [0,1], which converges pointwise to the function f(x) = 0 for all x, but the convergence is not uniform.

How can uniform convergence integration be applied in real-world problems?

Uniform convergence integration has many practical applications, such as in physics and engineering, where it is used to model physical systems and phenomena. It is also used in statistical analysis and data processing, as well as in computer science to optimize algorithms and improve computational efficiency.