Uniform convergence of f_n(x) = √(x² + 1/n) to |x|

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 5K views
BrainHurts
Messages
100
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Define

[itex]f_n : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by

[itex]f_n(x) = \left( x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]


Show that [itex]f_n(x) \rightarrow |x|[/itex] converges uniformly on compact subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

Show that the convergence is uniform in all of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Not quite good at these epsilon proofs, not sure if it needs to go that far but by the root law we have that

[itex]\lim_{ n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2 + \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/itex]. Now this shows that [itex]f_n[/itex] converges uniformly in some subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BrainHurts said:
[itex]\lim_{ n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2 + \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/itex]. Now this shows that [itex]f_n[/itex] converges uniformly in some subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] correct?

Well, this only shows that the ##f_n## converge to ##|x|## pointswise. You need some extra argument to show or disprove uniform convergence.
 
Well I suppose we should then go to the definition right.

Let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], I need to find the right [itex]N(\epsilon)[/itex] such that whenever [itex]n\geq N[/itex], we have that

[itex]\left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right| < \epsilon[/itex].

So I have a hard time messing with that

[itex]\left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right|[/itex]

any hints?
 
Well, you need to prove

[tex]\textrm{sup}_x |f_n(x) - f(x)| \rightarrow 0[/tex]

So I would start by calculating this supremum. Maybe try the usual techniques of calculus?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Just to be clear, I need to find the

[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} | f_n(x) - f(x) |[/itex] and show that as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex] then [itex]|f_n - f(x) | \rightarrow 0[/itex]
 
BrainHurts said:
Just to be clear, I need to find the

[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} | f_n(x) - f(x) |[/itex]

You need to show this limit is ##0## by definition of uniform convergence. Do you see why.

and show that as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty then |f_n - f(x) | \rightarrow 0[/itex]

No, that would just be pointswise convergence.
 
Thanks, I think I'm going to have to think about this a little while
 
BrainHurts said:

Homework Statement



Define

[itex]f_n : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by

[itex]f_n(x) = \left( x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]


Show that [itex]f_n(x) \rightarrow |x|[/itex] converges uniformly on compact subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

Show that the convergence is uniform in all of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Not quite good at these epsilon proofs, not sure if it needs to go that far but by the root law we have that

[itex]\lim_{ n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2 + \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/itex]. Now this shows that [itex]f_n[/itex] converges uniformly in some subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] correct?

Use the hint, and show that convergence is uniform on an arbitrary compact subset [itex]S[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Note that every [itex]f_n[/itex] is continuous, and [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, so that [itex]g_n = f_n - f[/itex] is continuous, and that [itex]0 < g_{n+1}(x) < g_n(x)[/itex] for every [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and every [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].
 
pasmith said:
Use the hint, and show that convergence is uniform on an arbitrary compact subset [itex]S[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Note that every [itex]f_n[/itex] is continuous, and [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, so that [itex]g_n = f_n - f[/itex] is continuous, and that [itex]0 < g_{n+1}(x) < g_n(x)[/itex] for every [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and every [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

Sorry to bring up old news but I haven't really thought about this problem since, but anyway, pasmith all I'm getting from you is that [itex]g_n[/itex] is one-to-one.

[itex]g_n(x) = f_n(x) - f(x) = \left( x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - |x| = \left(x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \sqrt{x}[/itex]

So

[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} \left|f_n(x) - f(x) \right| = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} \left| \left(x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \sqrt{x} \right|[/itex]

I feel like I need to use the squeeze theorem or something. Am I supposed to use the following argument along the lines of

[itex]0 < |g_{n+1}| < |g_n|[/itex] and as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty, |g_n| \rightarrow 0[/itex]
 
BrainHurts said:
Sorry to bring up old news but I haven't really thought about this problem since, but anyway, pasmith all I'm getting from you is that [itex]g_n[/itex] is one-to-one.

[itex]g_n(x) = f_n(x) - f(x) = \left( x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - |x| = \left(x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \sqrt{x}[/itex]
I assume you intended that last ##\sqrt{x}## to be ##\sqrt{x^2}##, and also I assume you meant
$$\left(x^2 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^{1/2}$$
as in the problem statement.

Try using the fact that
$$\sqrt{a} - \sqrt{b} = \frac{a - b}{\sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}}$$
assuming ##a## and ##b## are positive.
 
mmmmmmm OK I'll do that! but yes that's what I meant
 
Currently working on the same problem for my Intro Real Analysis II course at Rutgers University.

We know ## x^2 > 0 ## and ## \frac{1}{n} > 0 ## for all ##x \in \mathbb{R}## and for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##, hence using the hint above we obtain $$ \left | \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} - \sqrt{x^2} \right | = \left | \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \right | .$$

I think we need to split the reasoning for "##f_n## converges uniformly to ##f## on ##\mathbb{R}##" into two parts. Consider ##|x| \geq 1##, which implies ##x^2 \geq 1## and certainly ##x^2 + \frac{1}{n} \geq x^2## for natural number ##n##, hence ##\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} \geq \sqrt{1} = 1##. Moreover, ##\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2} \geq \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} \geq 1##. Certainly ##n \geq N## gives ## \frac{1}{n} \leq \frac {1}{N}##, so combining these facts we have that $$ \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \leq \frac{1}{N}$$ for ##|x| > 1##. So setting ##\frac{1}{N} < \epsilon## gives $$\forall \epsilon > 0, \rm{choose}\ N \in \mathbb{N}\ \rm{such\ that}\ N > \frac{1}{\epsilon} \implies \\
\forall |x| > 1 \ \forall n \geq N\ \rm{we\ have}\ \left | \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \right | \leq \frac{1}{n} \leq \frac{1}{N} < \epsilon. $$

To argue for ##|x|<1##, I am at a loss. Thoughts?

Attempt:
We know ##x^2 < 1##; however ##x^2 + \frac{1}{n} > x^2##.
 
Last edited:
BrainHurts said:
Well I suppose we should then go to the definition right.

Let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], I need to find the right [itex]N(\epsilon)[/itex] such that whenever [itex]n\geq N[/itex], we have that

[itex]\left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right| < \epsilon[/itex].

So I have a hard time messing with that

[itex]\left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right|[/itex]

any hints?

Look at the graph of ##d_n(x) = \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} - |x| > 0##. For any interval ##I## that contains ##0##, what is the value of ##\sup_{x \in I} d_n(x)?##
 
I don't remember, but in looking at your argument, why don't you include [\itex]|x|\geq 0[\itex]. Secondly, if you're going to do it for x<0, use the definition of |\cdot|, do the same thing, multiply both top and bottom by the conjugate and I think you have what you got. I hope this helps.