Uniform Convergence of a Sequence of Functions

• Thread starter BrainHurts
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Define

[itex]f_n : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] by

[itex]f_n(x) = \left( x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

Show that [itex]f_n(x) \rightarrow |x|[/itex] converges uniformly on compact subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

Show that the convergence is uniform in all of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not quite good at these epsilon proofs, not sure if it needs to go that far but by the root law we have that

[itex]\lim_{ n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2 + \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/itex]. Now this shows that [itex]f_n [/itex] converges uniformly in some subset of [itex]\mathbb{R} [/itex] correct?

Answers and Replies

[itex]\lim_{ n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2 + \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/itex]. Now this shows that [itex]f_n [/itex] converges uniformly in some subset of [itex]\mathbb{R} [/itex] correct?
Well, this only shows that the ##f_n## converge to ##|x|## pointswise. You need some extra argument to show or disprove uniform convergence.

Well I suppose we should then go to the definition right.

Let [itex]\epsilon > 0 [/itex], I need to find the right [itex]N(\epsilon)[/itex] such that whenever [itex]n\geq N[/itex], we have that

[itex] \left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right| < \epsilon [/itex].

So I have a hard time messing with that

[itex]\left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right| [/itex]

any hints?

Well, you need to prove

[tex]\textrm{sup}_x |f_n(x) - f(x)| \rightarrow 0[/tex]

So I would start by calculating this supremum. Maybe try the usual techniques of calculus?

Likes 1 person
Just to be clear, I need to find the

[itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} | f_n(x) - f(x) | [/itex] and show that as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty [/itex] then [itex]|f_n - f(x) | \rightarrow 0 [/itex]

Just to be clear, I need to find the

[itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} | f_n(x) - f(x) | [/itex]
You need to show this limit is ##0## by definition of uniform convergence. Do you see why.

and show that as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty then |f_n - f(x) | \rightarrow 0 [/itex]
No, that would just be pointswise convergence.

Thanks, I think I'm gonna have to think about this a little while

Let me give you a hint: |x| = sqrt(x^2).

pasmith
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Define

[itex]f_n : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] by

[itex]f_n(x) = \left( x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

Show that [itex]f_n(x) \rightarrow |x|[/itex] converges uniformly on compact subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

Show that the convergence is uniform in all of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not quite good at these epsilon proofs, not sure if it needs to go that far but by the root law we have that

Use the hint, and show that convergence is uniform on an arbitrary compact subset [itex]S[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Note that every [itex]f_n[/itex] is continuous, and [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, so that [itex]g_n = f_n - f[/itex] is continuous, and that [itex]0 < g_{n+1}(x) < g_n(x)[/itex] for every [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and every [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

Use the hint, and show that convergence is uniform on an arbitrary compact subset [itex]S[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Note that every [itex]f_n[/itex] is continuous, and [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, so that [itex]g_n = f_n - f[/itex] is continuous, and that [itex]0 < g_{n+1}(x) < g_n(x)[/itex] for every [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and every [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].
Sorry to bring up old news but I haven't really thought about this problem since, but anyway, pasmith all I'm getting from you is that [itex]g_n[/itex] is one-to-one.

[itex]g_n(x) = f_n(x) - f(x) = \left( x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - |x| = \left(x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \sqrt{x}[/itex]

So

[itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} \left|f_n(x) - f(x) \right| = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} \left| \left(x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \sqrt{x} \right| [/itex]

I feel like I need to use the squeeze theorem or something. Am I supposed to use the following argument along the lines of

[itex] 0 < |g_{n+1}| < |g_n| [/itex] and as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty, |g_n| \rightarrow 0 [/itex]

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Sorry to bring up old news but I haven't really thought about this problem since, but anyway, pasmith all I'm getting from you is that [itex]g_n[/itex] is one-to-one.

[itex]g_n(x) = f_n(x) - f(x) = \left( x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - |x| = \left(x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \sqrt{x}[/itex]
I assume you intended that last ##\sqrt{x}## to be ##\sqrt{x^2}##, and also I assume you meant
$$\left(x^2 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^{1/2}$$
as in the problem statement.

Try using the fact that
$$\sqrt{a} - \sqrt{b} = \frac{a - b}{\sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}}$$
assuming ##a## and ##b## are positive.

mmmmmmm OK I'll do that! but yes that's what I meant

Currently working on the same problem for my Intro Real Analysis II course at Rutgers University.

We know ## x^2 > 0 ## and ## \frac{1}{n} > 0 ## for all ##x \in \mathbb{R}## and for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##, hence using the hint above we obtain $$ \left | \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} - \sqrt{x^2} \right | = \left | \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \right | .$$

I think we need to split the reasoning for "##f_n## converges uniformly to ##f## on ##\mathbb{R}##" into two parts. Consider ##|x| \geq 1##, which implies ##x^2 \geq 1## and certainly ##x^2 + \frac{1}{n} \geq x^2## for natural number ##n##, hence ##\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} \geq \sqrt{1} = 1##. Moreover, ##\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2} \geq \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} \geq 1##. Certainly ##n \geq N## gives ## \frac{1}{n} \leq \frac {1}{N}##, so combining these facts we have that $$ \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \leq \frac{1}{N}$$ for ##|x| > 1##. So setting ##\frac{1}{N} < \epsilon## gives $$\forall \epsilon > 0, \rm{choose}\ N \in \mathbb{N}\ \rm{such\ that}\ N > \frac{1}{\epsilon} \implies \\
\forall |x| > 1 \ \forall n \geq N\ \rm{we\ have}\ \left | \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \right | \leq \frac{1}{n} \leq \frac{1}{N} < \epsilon. $$

To argue for ##|x|<1##, I am at a loss. Thoughts?

Attempt:
We know ##x^2 < 1##; however ##x^2 + \frac{1}{n} > x^2##.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Well I suppose we should then go to the definition right.

Let [itex]\epsilon > 0 [/itex], I need to find the right [itex]N(\epsilon)[/itex] such that whenever [itex]n\geq N[/itex], we have that

[itex] \left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right| < \epsilon [/itex].

So I have a hard time messing with that

[itex]\left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right| [/itex]

any hints?
Look at the graph of ##d_n(x) = \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} - |x| > 0##. For any interval ##I## that contains ##0##, what is the value of ##\sup_{x \in I} d_n(x)?##

I don't remember, but in looking at your argument, why don't you include [\itex]|x|\geq 0[\itex]. Secondly, if you're going to do it for x<0, use the definition of |\cdot|, do the same thing, multiply both top and bottom by the conjugate and I think you have what you got. I hope this helps.