1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Convergence of a Sequence of Functions

1. Mar 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Define

[itex]f_n : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] by

[itex]f_n(x) = \left( x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

Show that [itex]f_n(x) \rightarrow |x|[/itex] converges uniformly on compact subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

Show that the convergence is uniform in all of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Not quite good at these epsilon proofs, not sure if it needs to go that far but by the root law we have that

[itex]\lim_{ n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2 + \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \dfrac{1}{n}} = \sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/itex]. Now this shows that [itex]f_n [/itex] converges uniformly in some subset of [itex]\mathbb{R} [/itex] correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, this only shows that the ##f_n## converge to ##|x|## pointswise. You need some extra argument to show or disprove uniform convergence.

4. Mar 25, 2014 #3
    Well I suppose we should then go to the definition right.

Let [itex]\epsilon > 0 [/itex], I need to find the right [itex]N(\epsilon)[/itex] such that whenever [itex]n\geq N[/itex], we have that

[itex] \left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right| < \epsilon [/itex].

So I have a hard time messing with that

[itex]\left| \sqrt{x^2 + \dfrac{1}{n}} - |x| \right| [/itex]

any hints?

5. Mar 25, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you need to prove

[tex]\textrm{sup}_x |f_n(x) - f(x)| \rightarrow 0[/tex]

So I would start by calculating this supremum. Maybe try the usual techniques of calculus?

6. Mar 25, 2014 #5
    Just to be clear, I need to find the

[itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} | f_n(x) - f(x) | [/itex] and show that as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty [/itex] then [itex]|f_n - f(x) | \rightarrow 0 [/itex]

7. Mar 25, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You need to show this limit is ##0## by definition of uniform convergence. Do you see why.

No, that would just be pointswise convergence.

8. Mar 25, 2014 #7
    Thanks, I think I'm gonna have to think about this a little while

9. Mar 26, 2014 #8
    Let me give you a hint: |x| = sqrt(x^2).

10. Mar 26, 2014 #9

pasmith

Homework Helper

Use the hint, and show that convergence is uniform on an arbitrary compact subset [itex]S[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Note that every [itex]f_n[/itex] is continuous, and [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, so that [itex]g_n = f_n - f[/itex] is continuous, and that [itex]0 < g_{n+1}(x) < g_n(x)[/itex] for every [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and every [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

11. Apr 1, 2014 #10
    Sorry to bring up old news but I haven't really thought about this problem since, but anyway, pasmith all I'm getting from you is that [itex]g_n[/itex] is one-to-one.

[itex]g_n(x) = f_n(x) - f(x) = \left( x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - |x| = \left(x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \sqrt{x}[/itex]

So

[itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} \left|f_n(x) - f(x) \right| = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{sup}_{x \in \mathbb{R}} \left| \left(x^2 - \dfrac{1}{n} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} - \sqrt{x} \right| [/itex]

I feel like I need to use the squeeze theorem or something. Am I supposed to use the following argument along the lines of

[itex] 0 < |g_{n+1}| < |g_n| [/itex] and as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty, |g_n| \rightarrow 0 [/itex]

12. Apr 1, 2014 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you intended that last ##\sqrt{x}## to be ##\sqrt{x^2}##, and also I assume you meant
    $$\left(x^2 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^{1/2}$$
    as in the problem statement.

Try using the fact that
    $$\sqrt{a} - \sqrt{b} = \frac{a - b}{\sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}}$$
    assuming ##a## and ##b## are positive.

13. Apr 1, 2014 #12
    mmmmmmm OK I'll do that! but yes that's what I meant

14. Feb 2, 2017 #13
    Currently working on the same problem for my Intro Real Analysis II course at Rutgers University.

We know ## x^2 > 0 ## and ## \frac{1}{n} > 0 ## for all ##x \in \mathbb{R}## and for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##, hence using the hint above we obtain $$ \left | \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} - \sqrt{x^2} \right | = \left | \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \right | .$$

I think we need to split the reasoning for "##f_n## converges uniformly to ##f## on ##\mathbb{R}##" into two parts. Consider ##|x| \geq 1##, which implies ##x^2 \geq 1## and certainly ##x^2 + \frac{1}{n} \geq x^2## for natural number ##n##, hence ##\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} \geq \sqrt{1} = 1##. Moreover, ##\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2} \geq \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} \geq 1##. Certainly ##n \geq N## gives ## \frac{1}{n} \leq \frac {1}{N}##, so combining these facts we have that $$ \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \leq \frac{1}{N}$$ for ##|x| > 1##. So setting ##\frac{1}{N} < \epsilon## gives $$\forall \epsilon > 0, \rm{choose}\ N \in \mathbb{N}\ \rm{such\ that}\ N > \frac{1}{\epsilon} \implies \\
    \forall |x| > 1 \ \forall n \geq N\ \rm{we\ have}\ \left | \frac{1}{n (\sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} + \sqrt{x^2})} \right | \leq \frac{1}{n} \leq \frac{1}{N} < \epsilon. $$

To argue for ##|x|<1##, I am at a loss. Thoughts?

Attempt:
    We know ##x^2 < 1##; however ##x^2 + \frac{1}{n} > x^2##.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  15. Feb 2, 2017 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the graph of ##d_n(x) = \sqrt{x^2 + \frac{1}{n}} - |x| > 0##. For any interval ##I## that contains ##0##, what is the value of ##\sup_{x \in I} d_n(x)?##

16. Feb 2, 2017 #15
    I don't remember, but in looking at your argument, why don't you include [\itex]|x|\geq 0[\itex]. Secondly, if you're going to do it for x<0, use the definition of |\cdot|, do the same thing, multiply both top and bottom by the conjugate and I think you have what you got. I hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted