1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Convergence on an Equicontinuous Set

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let (X,d) be a compact metric space, (f_n) be an equicontinuous sequences of functions in C(X, [itex]\mathbb{R} [/itex])such that, for every fixed x in X, [itex] (f_n(x)) \to 0 [/itex].

Show that (f_n) converges uniformly to the zero function

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First things first, I started by noting that since X is compact, then C(X,R) (the space of all continuous functions from X to R) is equivalent to C_b(X,R), the set of all continuous bounded functions from X to R. Now R complete implies that F_b(X,R) is complete (set of bounded functions), and C_b(X,R) is a closed subset of F_b(X,R) and so is also complete. Thus it suffices to show that (f_n) is Cauchy with respect to the distance induced by the uniform norm. That is

[tex] \rho(f,g) = \sup \{ |f(x) - g(x) | | x \in X \} [/tex]

Let [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex]. Then (f_n) uniformly continuous implies [itex] \exists \delta >0 [/itex] such that [itex] \forall x,y \text{ satisfying } d(x,y) < \delta, |f(x)-f(y)| < \epsilon [/itex]. Since [itex] (f_n(x)) \to 0, \exists n_x[/itex] for each fixed x, such that [itex] |f_n(x)| < \epsilon [/itex].

Since X is compact, let [itex] x_1, \ldots, x_p [/itex] be a delta-net for X. Then [itex] \forall x \in X, \exists x_j \text{ such that } d(x,x_j) < \delta [/itex] and so [itex] |f_n(x) - f_n(x_j)| < \epsilon [/itex] for all n.

I'm not sure if I ended up doing some of this for no reason, but I can't quite figure out where to go from here.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2008 #2
  4. Jul 11, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know f_n converges to zero. That means that for every e>0 there is a N(x) such that for all n>N(x) |f_n(x)|<e. You only have to show that it's uniform. If f_n is continuous that means that there is a d_n(x) such that if |x-x'|<d_n(x) then |f_n(x)-f_n(x')|<e. Equicontinuity let's you eliminate the dependence of d on n. Now you want to eliminate the dependence on x. Use compactness.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?