1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Pully with a single block, do not understand where mass relates?

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    OK, my largest issue with dealing with uniform cylindrical pulleys and a single block (object) is understanding where mass of the block relates in any of the equations.

Specifically, I was doing some problems earlier with no issues at all. Then I came across one asking about the mass of the block hanging from the pulley. The book and my notes do not speak of this.
    Known:
    mass of the pulley
    radius,
    Tension,

This seems like a pretty straight-forward topic, yet I cannot seem to locate much on it.
    Can anyone please explain the topic?
    Thank you in advance, I have already found much help from these forums, and without them would probably not pass calculus based physics!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2
    I tried solving for acceleration then using:

ma = mg - T, rearranged as T = m(g-a) but this did not give me a correct solution either. hmmmmm.

4. Oct 27, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Are you talking about a cylinder that has a massless rope wrapped around it from which a block is hanging? And you're supposed to find the acceleration of the block?
    Generally the tension is not known, but you can figure it out.

That looks like a reasonable equation for the block. Note that you have two unknowns, tension and acceleration. You need a second equation--one for the cylinder--to solve for the acceleration.

5. Oct 27, 2008 #4
    Ok, thank you. I will look for some info on this. I am not too familiar with the equations of a pulley.
    To clarify the problem, I am looking for the mass of a block hanging from a single pulley.
    From the problem I am given the mass of the pulley, the radius of the pulley, and the tension in the cable.
    Do you know, specifically, which equation I am missing for the cylinder?
    Thank you again for the help. I need to know this subject in and out...

6. Oct 27, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK. Instead of the tension being unknown, the mass is unknown. You still have two unknowns and need two equations.
    Yes, the rotational equivalent of Newton's 2nd law: Net Torque = Iα

7. Oct 27, 2008 #6
    you have PM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook