Linear algebra direct sum proof

In summary, the homework statement is saying that if you have two vectors in a vector space, then you can find a way to make them equal by putting them together and taking away the 0s.
zcd

Homework Statement

Let W1 and W2 be subspaces of a vector space V. Prove that [tex]W_1\oplus{}W_2=V \iff[/tex] each vector in V can be uniquely written as x1+x2=v, where [tex]x_1\in W_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2\in W_2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]W_1\oplus{}W_2=V[/tex] means [tex]W_1\cap W_2 =\{0\}[/tex], [tex]W_1 + W_2 =V[/tex] and W1 & W2 are subspaces of V

8 axioms defining vector space

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to assume that [tex]\exists x'_1,x'_2: x'_1+x'_2=v[/tex] and [tex]x'_1\in W_1, x'_2\in W_2[/tex] and then proving [tex]x'_1=x_1, x'_2=x_2[/tex], but I'm unsure of where to go from that step.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If x1+x2=v and x1'+x2'=v then (x1-x1')+(x2-x2')=0. (x1-x1') is in W1. (x2-x2') is in W2. 0 is in W1. Is (x2-x2') in W1?

[tex](x_2-x'_2)\in W_1\iff x_2-x'_2=0[/tex]

zcd said:
[tex](x_2-x'_2)\in W_1\iff x_2-x'_2=0[/tex]

So you've got it?

I can see how this proves [tex]W_1\oplus{}W_2=V[/tex], but I'm still unsure on how x1 and x2 are unique. Is it because if [tex]x_i\neq x'_i[/tex] then the two vectors are in different subspaces, while if [tex]x_i= x'_i[/tex] the two subspaces will overlap at zero?

zcd said:
I can see how this proves [tex]W_1\oplus{}W_2=V[/tex], but I'm still unsure on how x1 and x2 are unique. Is it because if [tex]x_i\neq x'_i[/tex] then the two vectors are in different subspaces, while if [tex]x_i= x'_i[/tex] the two subspaces will overlap at zero?

It doesn't prove W1+W2=V. It proves if W1+W2=V then the decomposition is unique. You have to also prove if the decomposition is unique then W1+W2=V.

For the reverse argument, can I say that [tex]S:=W_1 \cap W_2[/tex] and [tex]\exists s\inS: x_1+x_2+s=v\implies s=0[/tex], therefore [tex]S=\{ 0\}[/tex]

What is a direct sum in linear algebra?

A direct sum is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vector spaces to create a larger vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ⊕ and is defined as the set of all possible combinations of vectors from the individual spaces.

How do you prove a direct sum in linear algebra?

To prove that two vector spaces V and W are a direct sum, you need to show that their intersection is only the zero vector, that is, V∩W = {0}. This can be done by assuming that a vector x is in both V and W, and then showing that x must be the zero vector. Alternatively, you can show that every vector in the direct sum V⊕W can be written as a unique sum of vectors from V and W.

What is the difference between a direct sum and a direct product in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a direct sum combines vector spaces, while a direct product combines groups. In other words, a direct sum creates a larger vector space, while a direct product creates a larger group.

Can a direct sum of two vector spaces be written as a direct product?

Yes, every direct sum can be written as a direct product, but the converse is not true. This means that every direct sum of two vector spaces V and W can be written as the direct product V×W, but not every direct product V×W is a direct sum of two vector spaces.

Why is the direct sum important in linear algebra?

The direct sum is an important concept in linear algebra because it allows us to combine smaller vector spaces to create larger ones. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as functional analysis and abstract algebra, as well as in applications such as physics and engineering.