Uniqueness and Existence Theorm

In summary, the uniqueness and existence theorem only guarantees solutions in the region where y' and dy'/dy are continuous, so initial conditions outside this region may or may not result in multiple solutions.
Aldnoahz
Consider y' = 1/sqrt(y)

I seem to be able to find a unique solution given the initial condition of the form y(c) = 0, but the theorem says I won't be able to do so, so I am kind of confused.

I just want some clarifications. Does the uniqueness and existence theorem say anything about the region outside the rectangle where y' and dy'/dy is continuous? Say in this example the theorem guarantees uniqueness when y > 0, but does it necessarily mean that when y = 0, there is no unique solution (i.e. you always find multiple solutions)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot plug in y(c) = 0 in the formula - the function cannot satisfy the differential equation there. You cannot apply a theorem using a differential equation in a region where this equation is not valid.

In this case, it appears the uniqueness theorem doesn't guarantee anything. There may be a unique solution, but from the uniqueness theorem you can not determine whether this is the case or not.

Charles Link said:
In this case, it appears the uniqueness theorem doesn't guarantee anything. There may be a unique solution, but from the uniqueness theorem you can not determine whether this is the case or not.

If I understand correctly, uniqueness and existence theorem only guarantees solutions in the region where y' and dy'/dy are continuous, so initial conditions outside this region may or may not result in multiple solutions?

mfb said:
You cannot plug in y(c) = 0 in the formula - the function cannot satisfy the differential equation there. You cannot apply a theorem using a differential equation in a region where this equation is not valid.

I see that the only reason we cannot substitute in y(c) = 0 as the solution is that y' goes to infinity as y approaches 0? But that only means the tangent at y = 0 tends to a vertical line. If I directly solve it and find the general solution, they still give me unique solutions that don't cross each other...

Likes Charles Link
You need an applicable initial condition for a unique solution. y(c)=d for d>0 for example.

Aldnoahz said:
I see that the only reason we cannot substitute in y(c) = 0 as the solution is that y' goes to infinity as y approaches 0? But that only means the tangent at y = 0 tends to a vertical line. If I directly solve it and find the general solution, they still give me unique solutions that don't cross each other...
This reminds me of a similar problem that results when you do a Taylor expansion of ## ln(1+x) ## about ## x=0 ##. Because ## x=-1 ## clearly will diverge, the circle of convergence of this series in the complex plane has ## r=1 ##. However, if you use ## x=1 ## you do get a converging series for ## ln(2)=1-1/2+1/3-1/4... ##.

Actually it is easy to give sense to the original question. Just reformulate it for the system
$$\dot x=\sqrt y,\quad \dot y= 1$$

Likes Charles Link

What is the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem?

The Uniqueness and Existence Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that under certain conditions, a solution to a problem or equation will always exist and will be unique.

What conditions must be met for the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem to apply?

The conditions for the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem vary depending on the specific problem or equation being solved. However, some common conditions include the problem being well-posed (having a unique solution) and the equation being continuous and differentiable.

Why is the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem important?

The Uniqueness and Existence Theorem is important because it guarantees the existence and uniqueness of solutions to many mathematical problems and equations. This allows scientists and mathematicians to confidently use these solutions in their research and applications.

Can the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem can be applied to real-world problems that can be modeled with mathematical equations. Many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, rely on the principles of the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem to solve problems and make predictions.

Are there any limitations to the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem?

Yes, the Uniqueness and Existence Theorem has limitations. It may not apply to all problems or equations, and in some cases, multiple solutions or no solutions may exist. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and assumptions of the theorem when applying it to a problem.