What Is the Standard Unit for Measuring Momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a name for the atomic unit of momentum, as opposed to energy which is measured in Joules or Force which is measured in Newtons. The dimension of momentum is determined to be [p] = \mathrm{M} \, \mathrm{L} \, \mathrm{T}^{-1} and a proposed combination for the atomic unit is p_{0} = \alpha \, m_{e} \, c. The suggested names for this unit include "broglie", "Bentley", "motions", or "Newton-seconds". However, it is noted that a name with no more than three syllables is preferred.
AJ Bentley
I was just trying to get my head around a point that was a little obscure, when I realized that part of the problem was that in thinking of momentum I hadn't got a name to hang on the unit.

Unlike energy, where you just think so-many-Joules or Force (ditto-Newtons), you get stuck with this clumsy kilogram-metres-per-second.

So c'mon guys, how about a name for the little lady?

Physics news on Phys.org
the atomic unit of momentum would be found by dimensional analysis from [itex]m_{e}[/itex]. [itex]\hbar[/itex] and [itex]k_{0} \, e^{2}[/itex]. The dimensions of these fundamental quantities are:

[tex]
[ m_{e} ] = \mathrm{M}
[/tex]

[tex]
[ \hbar ] = \mathrm{M} \, \mathrm{L}^{2} \, \mathrm{T}^{-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
[ k_{0} \, e^{2} ] = \mathrm{M} \, \mathrm{L}^{3} \, \mathrm{T}^{-2}
[/tex]

The dimension of momentum is:

[tex]
[p] = \mathrm{M} \, \mathrm{L} \, \mathrm{T}^{-1}
[/tex]

Assuming a general combination:

[tex]
p = m_{e}^{x} \, \hbar^{y} \, (k_{0} e^{2})^{z}
[/tex]

we get the following conditions:

[tex]
\left\{\begin{array}{l}
x + y + z = 1 \\

2 y + 3 z = 1 \\

-y - 2 z = -1
\end{array}\right. \Rightarrow \left\{\begin{array}{l}
x = 1 \\

y = - 1 \\

z = 1
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

Therefore, the atomic unit of momentum is:

[tex]
p_{0} = \frac{m_{e} \, k_{0} \, e^{2}}{\hbar} = \alpha \, m_{e} \, c, \ \alpha \equiv \frac{k_{0} \, e^{2}}{\hbar \, c}
[/tex]

It's value in SI units is:

[tex]
p_{0} = 1.99 \times 10^{-24} \, \frac{\mathrm{kg} \, \mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}}
[/tex]

Since Louis De Broglie found the relation between the wavelength and momentum, I propose the above unit be called broglie.

Last edited:
I'd prefer something a little, well, 'snappier'...

AJ Bentley said:
I'd prefer something a little, well, 'snappier'...

I suggest the Bentley. One kilogram meter per second is a Bentley. o:)

Phrak said:
I suggest the Bentley.

Suck-up! :smile:

AJ Bentley said:
Suck-up! :smile:

My original thought was the 'snappy', but with the tendency to name units after their discoverers...you did discover momentum didn't you?

I suppose Newton discovered the important features of momentum so let's stick with him and express momentum in Newton seconds(which is the same as kgm/s)

Dadface said:
I suppose Newton discovered the important features of momentum so let's stick with him and express momentum in Newton seconds(which is the same as kgm/s)

That's an awfully nice tribute to Newton, but Newton-seconds doesn't have the ring to it one should expect from a basic quantity. Did Newton have a nephew, cousin, or anyone having a name with less than three syllables? You see, it’s never proper to use more than three syllables. All the best units are one, two, and never more than three syllables, I’d considered a Galileo, but poor Galileo has a name much too busy.

Last edited:
Since momentum is a quantity of motion, I suggest "motions".

"The automobile has about 60 kilomotions of momentum."

Char. Limit said:
kilomotions

I can think of some other physical quantity you could name that way, that's much more appropriate!

'David Cameron today made a speech that registered at 15 kilomotions on the Bovine scale.'

Last edited:

FAQ: What Is the Standard Unit for Measuring Momentum?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the amount of motion an object has. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the unit of momentum?

The unit of momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s) in the SI system of units. In other systems, it can also be expressed as gram centimeters per second (g*cm/s) or gram meters per second (g*m/s).

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass and velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

Is momentum conserved?

Yes, momentum is conserved in a closed system where there are no external forces acting. This means that the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

What is the difference between momentum and inertia?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while inertia is an object's resistance to change in motion. Inertia is related to an object's mass, while momentum is related to both mass and velocity.

Back