1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit vector field and gradient

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2353/87006064.th.jpg [Broken]

I need to find the unit vector in the direction of [tex] \vec{F} [/tex] at the point (1, 2, -2).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

well first of all I need to find what F is right, which is gradf.. how can I get that?? what is the level surface of f? is it a sphere?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2
    The grad (del operator) by itself is simply the derivative taken in 3 directions, x,y,z for your problem.

4. May 2, 2009 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

grad f for a function which depends only on r = √(x² + y² + z²) always points radially, and has a magnitude ∂f/∂r.

To see why, use the chain rule. For example ∂f/∂x = (∂f/∂r)(∂r/∂x) = (∂f/∂r)(x/r).

Also, √(1² + 2² + (-2)²) = 3, and you already know ∂f/∂r at r = 3.

5. May 2, 2009 #4
    is the g'(4) there for a reason?

6. May 2, 2009 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What was the question? I think you missed some words in your post. Unit vector in the direction of what?

7. May 2, 2009 #6
    I just corrected the question

8. May 2, 2009 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, g'(4) is not required.

Hint: Read my first post. Pay attention to the fact that g'(3) is positive. The magnitude of g'(3) is irrelevant.

9. May 2, 2009 #8
    I believe I just the derivative of r = √(x² + y² + z²) each with respect to x, y, and z to get the gradf?

10. May 2, 2009 #9

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The definition of grad f is (∂f/∂x, ∂f/∂y, ∂f/∂z). Which direction does this point in if f is a function of only √(x² + y² + z²)?

11. May 2, 2009 #10
    hmm.. it points outwards as you said right?? can I say f(x,y,z) instead of f(rho)

12. May 2, 2009 #11

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, I didn't say it points outward. I said it points radially. It could be radially outward, or radially inward. Just do what I suggested: evaluate grad f in detail, from the definition of grad, using my previous hints.

13. May 2, 2009 #12
    gradf = ∂f/∂x √(x² + y² + z²)i + ∂f/∂y √(x² + y² + z²)j + ∂f/∂z √(x² + y² + z²)k

it's just that right?

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  14. May 2, 2009 #13

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No..

What's the definition of grad f?

15. May 2, 2009 #14
    as stated above:

The grad (del operator) by itself is simply the derivative taken in 3 directions, x,y,z for your problem.

16. May 2, 2009 #15

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

grad f is a vector field. It as components. The x-component is ∂f/∂x. The y-component is ∂f/∂y. The z-component is ∂f/∂z.

Evaluate these derivatives using the chain rule, as I have done in post #3. What is the vector you get when you do this?

17. May 2, 2009 #16
    yes I know it's a vector I just forgot to put my i,j,k above.. right?

18. May 2, 2009 #17

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nope, still not right. Don't try to guess it. Do it in detail, as I've already shown you how to do #3.

19. May 2, 2009 #18
    I really don't understand how post #3 could help in this case

20. May 2, 2009 #19
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. May 2, 2009 #20

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. √(x² + y² + z²) is not the value of the function. Reread the question. It says that f is a function of √(x² + y² + z²), which means that the value of f depends only on √(x² + y² + z²). For example, if x = 1, y = 0, z = 0, then the value of f is g(√(x² + y² + z²)) = g(√(1² + 0² + 0²)) = g(1) which from the graph in the original question is approximately 1.4.

f(x, y, z) = g(√(x² + y² + z²))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook