1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional Derivative at an Angle from the Gradient

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Find the directional derivative of z = x2y at (3,4) in the direction of 3π/4 with the x-axis. Give an exact answer.

(b) Find the directional derivative of z = x2y at (3,4) in the direction that makes an angle of 3π/4 with the gradient vector at (3,4). Give an exact answer.

(c) In which direction is the directional derivative the largest? Give your answer as a vector.

2. Relevant equations
    ##F\vec u (a,b) = \nabla F(a,b) \cdot \vec u##

Found the following two equations using the one above:
    ##\nabla F(3,4) = \langle 24,9 \rangle##
    ##\frac { \vec \nabla F(3,4)} {\left\|\vec \nabla F(3,4)\right\|} = \langle \frac {8}{\sqrt{73}},\frac {3} {\sqrt {73}} \rangle ##

3. The attempt at a solution

A. I found the directional derivative as ##\frac {-15}{\sqrt{2}}##.

B. I'm stuck here. I can't seem to figure out how to get the unit vector I need to dot the gradient with.
    I've tried using the geometric and algebraic definitions of the dot product and the fact that##\sqrt{{u_1}^2 + {u_2}^2} = 1## to find each component of u, but I'm just getting garbage as an answer (1 = not 1 ?:)). Part of the problem is that I'm supposed to give an exact answer, which I haven't quite figured out how to do yet.

I just tried to use some trig logic to get the angles I need, but it doesn't seem to be working either.
    Since ##θ = arccos (x)##, and ##θ = arcsin (y)##, I set my unit vector to ##\vec u = \langle cos(\frac {3π}{4} + arccos\frac {8}{\sqrt{73}}), sin(\frac {3π}{4} + arcsin\frac {3}{\sqrt{73}})\rangle## and dotted it with the gradient, but that's wrong as well.

C. Haven't gotten to this part yet.

The good news is that after 6 years on PF, I've finally learned the basics of LaTeX! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean ##x^2y##?

I will give you a hint on how to find that vector for (b). Let's start with ##\vec v = \langle 8,3\rangle## which is in the direction of your gradient. Two vectors perpendicular to ##\vec v## are ##\langle -3,8\rangle## and ##\langle 3,-8\rangle## (obvious from the dot product = 0). Draw these three vectors and also ##-\vec v## at the origin. Do you see in that picture two vectors you could add to give you a vector in the direction ##\frac{3\pi}{4}## from ##\vec v##? If so, make it a unit vector and proceed.

4. Sep 26, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Indeed.

That worked perfectly.

B. The answer is ##-\frac{657}{\sqrt{1314}}##

C. The answer is ##\left\langle 24,9\right\rangle ##

Thanks, Kurtz.

5. Sep 26, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope you realize that for any ##f(x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n)## the directional derivative is largest in the direction ##\nabla f##, and the proof is extremely easy.

6. Sep 26, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Yep. There's several examples in my book that I've gone through.

7. Sep 26, 2016 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure about that answer? What did you get for your unit vector in the new direction?
    [Edit, added]: That answer is correct but it can be reduced.

Of course, the geometric trick I just showed you depended on the fact that the angle ##\frac{3\pi}{4}## is easy to construct geometrically. But what if you had wanted to rotate the vector clockwise by an arbitrary angle ##\theta##? If you have studied the complex plane, you know that if you represent a vector ##z=\langle a,b \rangle## as ##a + bi## and multiply it by the complex number ##e^{i\theta}##, the result rotates ##z## by the angle ##\theta##. In your problem you would multiply by ##e^{\frac {3\pi i} 4} = \cos(\frac {3\pi i} 4) + i \sin(\frac {3\pi i} 4) = -\frac 1 {\sqrt 2} + i\frac 1 {\sqrt 2}##. You could use this idea to check your work above.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  8. Sep 26, 2016 #7

Drakkith

The online program accepted it as a correct answer.

##\langle \frac {-33}{\sqrt{1314}}, \frac{15}{\sqrt{1314}}\rangle##

I have not studied the complex plane but I'll try to remember this. Thanks Kurtz.

9. Sep 26, 2016 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I edited my answer about the same time that you replied noting that your answer is correct but that it can be reduced. You can factor a 3 out of both numerator and denominator. Ditto for your unit vector.

10. Sep 26, 2016 #9

Drakkith

Roger!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted