Unit vector in direction of fastest growth at a point

  • Thread starter Thread starter sibiryk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Growth
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
sibiryk
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I have f(x,y,z)=(x^2)y-x(e^z) and point Po=(2,-1,pi)
I need to find
a) gradient at point Po ( done)
b) Rate of change of f at point Po in the direction of vector u=i-2j+k (it's also done)
c) Unit vector in the direction of fastest growth of f at Po.

I can't find formulas for a last on. Does it come from a) and b)?
I know that angle should be zero but I am not sure what angle it is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At what angle is the growth greatest? Its got to do with the directional derivative and the gradient.
 
I think it's the angle between unit vector and tangent vector to f at Po.
If I'm correct, I'm not sure how should I put it on a paper.
 
Youre right. When you take a directional derivative what kind of product do you use (for the two vectors). One of these two is at a maximum when the angle is zero, that's the one you want to use.

If you're still stuck, show the defining expression for a directional derivative.
 
Last edited:
Not "tangent vector" because you are not talking about a curve.

The gradient is the "derivative" of a function of 2 or more variables. The derivative of f(x,y) in the direction of angle [itex]\theta[/itex] if given by
[tex]D_\theta f(x,y)= (cos \theta i+ sin \theta j)\dot(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y})[/tex]
That will have a maximum (with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex]) where it's derivative with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] equals 0:
[tex]-cos\theta \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ sin\theta\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= 0[/tex]
That means that
[tex]tan\theta= \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}= \frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}}{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}}[/tex]

Think about what that means in terms of the components of the gradient of f.
 
It is tangent to the surface at that point and I think that is what he is meaning, but when youre dotting [itex]D_{\theta}f(x,y)[/itex] why did we get a negative cosine?

You also forgot your j unit vector in the first expression.
 
Yes, my mistake I thought of tangent vector to a surface.
Why should I dot f(x,y) if I have f(x,y,z)?
Still confused.