Unit vector in direction of max increase of f(x,y,z)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
musicmar
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the unit vector e at P=(0,0,1) pointing in the direction along which f(x,y,z)=xz+e-x2+y increases most rapidly.

The Attempt at a Solution


In order to find the direction where f increases most rapidly, I found the second derivative of f.
I don't know how to put the curly d's in here, but

<(d2f/dx2,d2f/dy2,d2f/dz2>=<4e-x2+y,e-x2+y,0>

The second derivative should be zero where f increases the most rapidly, but I'm not sure what do do with the point or how to set the second derivative equal to zero from this point.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here just click on this and copy this code:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2},\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2},\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial z^2}=4e^{-x^2+y},e^{-x^2+y},0[/tex] or you can just write [tex]\nabla^2 f[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I know I'm only in the 11th grade and I know very little multi-variable calculus. I was just making the question more presentable so people who have taken this course will have a better reception and hence will answer your question.
 
Well, thanks for showing me how to enter partial derivatives, anyway.