1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding orthogonal unit vector to a plane

Tags:
  1. Nov 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the vector in R3 that is a unit vector that is normal to the plane with the general equation

x − y + √2z=5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so the orthogonal vector, I just took the coefficients of the general equation, giving (1, -1, √2)

then because it says unit vector i used the fact that v/||v|| gives the unit vector of 'v'
    solving for the unit vector (1/2, -1/2, √2/2)
    but the correct answer is (-1/2, 1/2, -1,√2)
    where have i gone wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Is your vector a unit vector? (amplitude=1). You need to normalize it. It is equally correct if it points in the opposite direction. editing... Reading it closer I see you correctly normalized it. @Ray Vickson also answers it correctly in the post that follows.

4. Nov 7, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both versions are correct: they are both unit vectors, and both of them are perpendicular to the plane. They just point in opposite directions: one points North and the other points South.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted