Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unitarity angular momentum operators

1. May 26, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm confused by a sentence in a set of lecture notes I have on quantum mechanics. In it, it is assumed there is some representation [itex]\pi[/itex] of [itex]SO(3)[/itex] on a Hilbert space. This representation is assumed to be irreducible and unitary.

It is then said that the operators [itex]J_i[/itex], which are said to be the infinitesimal generators of the rotation group satisfying [itex][J_i,J_j]=i \epsilon_{ijk}[/itex], are Hermitian as a consequence of the unitarity of this representation.

This confuses me. Shouldn't they say that the operators [itex]\pi (J_i)[/itex] are Hermitian? Are they writing [itex]J_i[/itex] for both the infinitesimal generators of the group and the operators they are mapped to?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Yes, they should do so. But it is quite common to write J for some representation.

4. May 26, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your quick answer.

Does that, then, imply that the Casimir operator is actually [itex]\sum_i \pi(J_i)^2[/itex]?
    Do the commutation relations satisfied by the Lie group generators carry over to the operators under the representation map? I can see that

[itex][\pi(J_i),\pi(J_j)] = \pi(J_i)\pi(J_j) - \pi(J_j)\pi(J_i) = \pi(J_i J_j) -\pi(J_j J_i)[/itex],

but I don't see why I could conclude that the last line equals [itex]\pi([J_i,J_j])[/itex]

EDIT: The only way I could see that happen if the representation is linear, but I haven't seen that assumed in its definition. Should that be included?

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  5. May 26, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The representation is linear, if the representation space is linear (and a separable Hilbert space is).

6. May 26, 2013 #5
    How so? I mean : how do you know the representation is linear whenever the representation space is?

7. May 26, 2013 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In QM it's the result of the theorem of Wigner. The representation operators can only be linear or antilinear (i.e. conjugate linear).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook