Unitary Matrix, need to find eigen values/vectors

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the homework statement is:The matrix is unitary because Abar*Atranspose=I (identity matrix).The Attempt at a Solution is having problems solving for the eigenvalues and vectors because of the imaginary numbers.I am having problems solving for the eigenvalues and vectors because of the imaginary numbers.I now have my eigenvalues as:λ1=1, λ2=(1+√3)/(2√2) + [(1-√3)/(2√2)]i and λ3=(1-√3)/(2√2) + [(1+√3)/(2√2)]i.I don't
orbitsnerd

Homework Statement

matrix:

1/sqrt(2) i/sqrt(2) 0

-1/sqrt(2) i/sqrt(2) 0

0 0 1

Find eigen values and eigen vectors and determine if it is diagonalizable

Homework Equations

The matrix is unitary because Abar*Atranspose=I (identity matrix)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having problems solving for the eigenvalues and vectors because of the imaginary numbers. What I get is:

lambda-1/sqrt(2) i/sqrt(2) 0

-1/sqrt(2) lambda- i/sqrt(2) 0

0 0 lambda-1

=(lambda-1/sqrt(2))*(lambda- i/sqrt(2))*(lambda-1)-(i/sqrt(2))*(-1/sqrt(2))*(lambda-1)

I need help getting to the next step.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi orbitsnerd! :smile:
orbitsnerd said:
lambda-1/sqrt(2) i/sqrt(2) 0

-1/sqrt(2) lambda- i/sqrt(2) 0

0 0 lambda-1

=(lambda-1/sqrt(2))*(lambda- i/sqrt(2))*(lambda-1)-(i/sqrt(2))*(-1/sqrt(2))*(lambda-1)

(euuugh! :yuck: have a lambda: λ and a square-root: √ :wink:)

Look at it … (λ - 1) is obviously a factor of the determinant, so you can ignore everything except the four top-left entries:

Code:
λ - 1/√2  i/√2
 -1/√2    λ - i/√2

so what is the determinant of that? :smile:

Awesome short cut. I now have my eigenvalues as:

λ1=1, λ2=(1+√3)/(2√2) + [(1-√3)/(2√2)]i and λ3=(1-√3)/(2√2) + [(1+√3)/(2√2)]i

I have issues finding the eigenvectors. I know you need to plug in the values of each λ back into the original matrix and solve for e1, e2 and e3. The imaginary number throws me off in this case.

tiny-tim said:
Hi orbitsnerd! :smile:

(euuugh! :yuck: have a lambda: λ and a square-root: √ :wink:)

Look at it … (λ - 1) is obviously a factor of the determinant, so you can ignore everything except the four top-left entries:

Code:
λ - 1/√2  i/√2
 -1/√2    λ - i/√2

so what is the determinant of that? :smile:

orbitsnerd said:
I have issues finding the eigenvectors. I know you need to plug in the values of each λ back into the original matrix and solve for e1, e2 and e3. The imaginary number throws me off in this case.

I don't see what the problem is :confused:

just do it the usual way. :smile:

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix with complex entries that is equal to its conjugate transpose. In other words, a unitary matrix is a matrix whose inverse is equal to its conjugate transpose.

2. How do I find the eigenvalues of a unitary matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a unitary matrix, you can use the eigenvalue decomposition method. This involves finding the matrix's eigenvectors and diagonalizing it, which will give you the eigenvalues as the diagonal entries.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in a unitary matrix?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important in a unitary matrix because they represent the matrix's characteristic behavior. The eigenvalues represent the amount of scaling that occurs in the eigenvector direction when the matrix is multiplied by that vector.

4. How do I find the eigenvectors of a unitary matrix?

To find the eigenvectors of a unitary matrix, you can use the eigenvalue decomposition method mentioned earlier. This will give you the eigenvectors as the columns of the matrix that diagonalizes the original unitary matrix.

5. Can a non-square matrix be unitary?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be unitary. Unitarity requires the matrix to be square and have complex entries. A non-square matrix may still have eigenvalues and eigenvectors, but it cannot be classified as unitary.