Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Law of Gravitation described by complex functions

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    I didn't put this in any of the physics sections, because I'm only learning this as it pertains to complex analysis. This was just an example provided in a free complex analysis textbook. Basically what I'm asking is why for the law of gravitation, f = GMm/r(t)^2, and it equals the equation in the picture when described by complex functions.

http://i.minus.com/iblXBR9aafGTaZ.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

It looks to me like they're just using the complex function z(t) = x(t) + iy(t) in place of a vector function r(t) = (x(t),y(t)). Since the only information you really care about is x(t) and y(t), the two representations will give you the same results.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. This only uses the fact that the complex plane has two real dimensions. It has nothing to do with the algebraic properties that distinguish the complex plane from R2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook