Complex and Real Differentiability .... Remmert, Section 2, Ch. 1 .... ....

In summary: Your name]In summary, Remmert's book "Theory of Complex Functions" discusses the relationship between complex and real differentiability in Chapter 1, Section 2. It is stated that if a function is complex-differentiable at a point c, then it must also be real differentiable at that point. This is because the limit given in the text is essentially the same as the definition of real differentiability. Additionally, the limit implies that complex-differentiable mappings have $\mathbb{C}$-linear differentials. While $\mathbb{C}$ and $\mathbb{R}^2$ can be identified as vector spaces, it is not necessary to do so in order to understand complex-differentiability.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Reinhold Remmert's book "Theory of Complex Functions" ...I am focused on Chapter 1: Complex-Differential Calculus ... and in particular on Section 2: Complex and Real Differentiability ... ... ...I need help in order to fully understand the relationship between complex and real differentiability ... ...Remmert's section on complex and real differentiability reads as follows:View attachment 8529
View attachment 8530
View attachment 8531In the above text from Remmert, we read the following ... ... just below 1. Characterization of complex-differentiable functions ... ...

" ... ... If \(\displaystyle f : D \to C\) is complex-differentiable at \(\displaystyle c\) then ...$\displaystyle \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ h} = 0$From this and (1) it follows immediately that complex-differentiable mappings are real differentiable and have \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear differentials ... ...

... ... ... "
Can someone please explain (formally and rigorously) how/why

(i) it follows from the limit immediately above and (1) that complex-differentiable mappings are real differentiable ... ...

(ii) it follows from the limit immediately above and (1) that complex-differentiable mappings have \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear differentials ... ... (***NOTE: I suspect the answer to (i) is that the form of the two limits is essentially the same ... although I'm concerned about the presence of norms in one and not the other ... and also that we can identify \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) with \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^2\) as a vector space ... is that correct?)Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

=======================================================================================
MHB readers of the above post may benefit from access to Remmert's section defining R-linear and C-linear mappings ... so I am providing access to that text ... as follows:
View attachment 8532
View attachment 8533Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• Remmert - 1 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1  - PART 1 ... .png
    Remmert - 1 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1 - PART 1 ... .png
    12.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Remmert - 2 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1  - PART 2 ... .png
    Remmert - 2 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1 - PART 2 ... .png
    48.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Remmert - 3 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1  - PART 3 ... .png
    Remmert - 3 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1 - PART 3 ... .png
    11.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Remmert - 1 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 1 .png
    Remmert - 1 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 1 .png
    16.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Remmert - 2 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 2 .png
    Remmert - 2 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 2 .png
    44.6 KB · Views: 49
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for help in understanding the relationship between complex and real differentiability in Remmert's book. I understand the importance of fully understanding mathematical concepts in order to apply them effectively in our work.

To answer your first question, it follows from the limit given in the text that if a function is complex-differentiable at a point c, then it must also be real differentiable at that point. This is because the limit is essentially the same as the definition of real differentiability, with the only difference being the use of complex numbers instead of real numbers. This means that if a function is complex-differentiable, it must also have a well-defined tangent at that point and therefore be real differentiable.

For your second question, the limit given in the text also implies that complex-differentiable mappings have $\mathbb{C}$-linear differentials. This is because the limit is essentially the definition of the derivative in the complex plane, and the derivative of a complex function is $\mathbb{C}$-linear. This means that the differential of a complex-differentiable function is also $\mathbb{C}$-linear.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between complex and real differentiability for you. It is important to note that while we can identify $\mathbb{C}$ with $\mathbb{R}^2$ as a vector space, it is not necessary to do so in order to understand the concept of complex-differentiability.

If you need further assistance, I would recommend consulting Remmert's section on R-linear and C-linear mappings, as you suggested. I wish you the best of luck in your studies.

What is complex differentiability?

Complex differentiability refers to the property of a complex-valued function being differentiable at a specific point in the complex plane. This means that the function has a unique complex derivative at that point, which is a complex number that represents the slope of the tangent line at that point.

What is real differentiability?

Real differentiability refers to the property of a real-valued function being differentiable at a specific point on the real number line. This means that the function has a unique real derivative at that point, which is a real number that represents the slope of the tangent line at that point.

What is the relationship between complex and real differentiability?

The relationship between complex and real differentiability is that a complex-valued function is complex differentiable if and only if its real and imaginary parts are both real differentiable. In other words, complex differentiability implies real differentiability, but the converse is not always true.

What is the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of necessary conditions for a complex-valued function to be complex differentiable. They state that a function is complex differentiable at a point if and only if it satisfies these two partial differential equations, which relate the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of the function.

How is complex differentiability related to holomorphicity?

A complex-valued function is said to be holomorphic if it is complex differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that it is not only differentiable at a specific point, but at every point in a given region. Holomorphicity is a stronger condition than complex differentiability, as it also implies that the function is infinitely differentiable (i.e. has derivatives of all orders) in that region.