Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universe : Can time move backward (New theory special)

1. Dec 12, 2014 #1
    So, Hey Guys,
    I was watching DNews and Suddenly I came across this video. Also I found two sources of 'thoery'
    Source A ;
    Source B;
    Seems like they are saying Entropy isn't the factor Explaining time, They even said that Thermodynamics (and it's second law) isn't what explains the time, They believe that "GRAVITY" controls time......
    They tested out using computer simulation which created 2 Universes (of Newtonian physics) and the arrow of time was opposite in both the universe!
    But time is relative right? that means that to them its foward right?
    I'll argue that they are incorrect because it will make physics even more complex, I mean some theory's cant be explained by this... (hope i make sense there :P)

Comment down your opinion guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Cause and effect are the arrow of time.

4. Dec 13, 2014 #3
    Here's the arXiv version: http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.0917

Julian Barbour, Tim Koslowski, Flavio Mercati

5. Dec 13, 2014 #4
  6. Dec 13, 2014 #5
    See. #2 Cause and effect are the arrow of time.

Look at figure 6. time-independent (autonomous) Hamiltonian [6]: http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.0917

.... it is very natural to identify an arrow of time with the direction in which structure, measured in our case by CS, grows. We then have a dynamically-enforced scenario with one past (the minimum of CS, which occurs near τ = 0) and two futures.The growth-of-complexity arrow always points away from the unique past. In the atypical solutions that terminate with Icm = 0 (footnote 3) there is one past and only one future.

"time is an abstraction at which we arrive through the changes of things.” Thus, time as such does not exist but only change. Much of my research has been devoted to the implications of this insight. I have shown how, alongside the relativity of motion, the notion of time as change can be built into the foundations of dynamics. In fact, this idea is contained in a hidden form within general relativity. Its potential consequences for the yet to be found quantum mechanics of the universe are profound. The quantum universe is likely to be static. Motion and the apparent passage of time may be nothing but very well founded illusions."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook