Are 2.5 hour lectures twice a week effective for student learning?

In summary, the conversation discusses the duration and frequency of lectures in academic courses and questions whether it is the most effective method for student learning. The speaker personally struggles to stay focused in longer lectures, and wonders if there has been research done on the ideal length and frequency of lectures for maximum learning. They also mention differences in scheduling and the impact of part-time work on students.
member 392791
I was thinking as a student, is there some sort of thought that goes into have 2.5 hour lectures twice a week?

I am thinking that this is not the best layout for learning, and was wondering if this has been studied by anyone to see what lecture times maximize student learning.

For me, in a 2.5 hour lecture, I honestly can keep myself awake for maybe 20-30 minutes before I begin to doze off. If the lecture becomes very conceptually or mathematically intense, I fall in and out of consciousness, simply because I don't understand the concept being taught, and it's hard to keep awake when you are so lost your professor might as well be speaking another language.

Has this been looked at from a pedagogical perspective, or is it just something that the schools do for the sake of convenience and scheduling? Whatever happened to the days of meeting 5 days a week for 1 hour like in K-12?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a few 2.5-3 hour lectures per week. I personally think this is too long. I prefer 1.5 hours, myself. Once I hit 2 hours, I typically start to lose my concentration (unless the lecture material is completely fascinating). However, one of my math classes is only 50 minutes per lecture, which I find much too short. I think 1.5 hours is my ideal lecture (ideally 2-3 times per week). However, I prefer fewer lectures per week so I may have more time outside of class to explore/learn topics my self.

Thought does go into every aspect of the classes - student learning is usually considered however it is well known that students do most of their learning outside of lectures anyhow. Lectures are group contact-time with the lecturer.

In NZ it is usual for undergrad physics to consist of two full-year lecture courses and a full-year laboratory course. The lab course is held once a week and lasts 3hours. The lecture courses have two 1-hour lectures each week each. So you spend 7hours a week in lessons. Then there are assignments.

Papers without a practical component run at 3-hours a week typically.
There is a lot of variation though - I did a post-grad constitutional law paper which was for 5 days solid, 3hours am and 3 hours pm, 1 hour for lunch... and assignments. The timing was because the course had a guest lecturer who was only available for a short time.

When you attend lectures it is very important to review the subject in advance.
You should enter the theater already knowing the subject - so you can watch for the emphasis and lecturers perspective.

Aside: I understand that in the US many students will work part-time as well. Longer lecturer times may mean you have at least one whole day with no classes? I'd expect it would be easier to organize a course to give yourself more afternoons free for making money. In NZ the taxpayer subsidizes your courses.

Woopydalan said:
I was thinking as a student, is there some sort of thought that goes into have 2.5 hour lectures twice a week?

Which course is it, and how long is the term?

Different colleges and universities use different scheduling systems. Where I work, a "normal" lecture course has three 1-hour lectures per week for about 14 weeks. If it has a lab, it's usually (up to) 3 hours once per week.

Long lectures are usually for scheduling reasons. Some students actually like them because they're easier to fit into their schedule if they're also working, especially for evening courses.

Math and Physics classes, chemistry is even longer (though it's a 5 unit class).

The main thing actually is math, from 8:15-10:20am. It's very hard to keep concentrated for the entirety of this class, I don't think I've ever stayed fully aware for an entire lecture without dozing off. It's a 16 week semester

1. How do 2.5 hour lectures twice a week compare to other forms of teaching?

The effectiveness of any form of teaching depends on various factors, including the subject matter, the teaching style, and the individual learning preferences of students. 2.5 hour lectures twice a week may work well for some students, while others may benefit more from shorter, more frequent lectures or a combination of lectures and hands-on activities.

2. Are 2.5 hour lectures too long for students to stay engaged?

The length of a lecture does not necessarily determine its effectiveness. It is important for the lecturer to use engaging teaching methods, incorporate interactive elements, and break up the lecture into smaller chunks with breaks in between. This can help keep students engaged and focused throughout the duration of the lecture.

3. Are there any advantages to having longer lectures twice a week?

One advantage of longer lectures twice a week is that it allows for in-depth coverage of complex topics. It also gives students more time to ask questions, participate in discussions, and process the information being presented. Additionally, longer lectures can help students develop their attention span and concentration skills.

4. How can lecturers ensure that 2.5 hour lectures twice a week are effective for student learning?

To ensure that 2.5 hour lectures twice a week are effective for student learning, lecturers should use a variety of teaching methods, incorporate interactive elements, and provide breaks throughout the lecture. They should also make sure to present the material in a clear and organized manner, and be open to feedback from students to make necessary adjustments.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to having longer lectures twice a week?

One potential drawback of longer lectures twice a week is that it may not work well for students with different learning styles or attention spans. It may also be challenging for students to retain all the information presented in one lecture without additional reinforcement or review. To address these potential drawbacks, lecturers can provide supplementary materials or encourage students to review the material outside of class.