Unraveling the Mystery of "Floating Rule" in an Experiment

In summary, the speaker shares their experience of conducting an experiment with their students to determine the "rule for what floats." They mixed 100 grams each of sugar and water, but the resulting solution only weighed 125 grams instead of the expected 200 grams. After multiple attempts and troubleshooting, they finally realized that their scale had a 200 gram limit and was not able to accurately measure the weight of the mixture. They reflect on the lesson learned and the importance of checking instruments over the full expected range before conducting experiments.
MaggiesScienceConnec
Today I was leading my students in an experiment that would reveal "the rule for what floats." We had previously floated (or sank) various objects in regular, room temperature tap water. I then weighed out 100 grams each of sugar and water, mixed them together and weighed them again. To my surprise, instead of having 200 grams of sugar water solution, I had 125 grams.

At first I thought we had not tared our scale properly, so I poured the mixture into a newly tared beaker. We still came up 75 grams short. We then weighed out another 100 grams each of sugar and water. This time I tared the beaker containing the water back to 0.0 grams and then poured the newly weighed 100 grams of sugar directly into the water as it was on the scale. It only increased the weight by 25 grams.

Then I thought there was something wrong with how the scale tared the beaker and weighed the beaker separately. It weighed about 115 grams, so this could not account for the loss.

Given that you cannot destroy matter, can someone help me understand why adding the water to the sugar in equal weight resulted in a mixture that weighed less than 200 grams?? I'm flummoxed and I can't seem to find an explanation on the internet. I promised my students I would try to figure out why this happened.

Physics news on Phys.org
MaggiesScienceConnec said:
Given that you cannot destroy matter, can someone help me understand why adding the water to the sugar in equal weight resulted in a mixture that weighed less than 200 grams??
It's got to be some sort of measurement error. Try this: put the sugar in a zip lock bag and dunk it in the water and see if the same issue arises. (That would eliminate issues with dissolving.)

I've just tried myself and within the accuracy of my kitchen force meter (2g) the results add up.
As Doc says, has to be faulty method or equipment.
Perhaps you could record actual readings for us to look at? Like
Empty sugar container = 20g
S.Container & sugar = 119g
Empty water container = 75g
W.Container and water = 177g
W.Container and water and sugar = 276g or whatever it came out to.

Have you tried a different force meter or have you tried calibrating the one you are using?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I FINALLY figured it out! The OHaus scale I was using had a 200 gram limit and when I tared the 115 gram beaker back down to 0 grams, I exceeded the limits of the scale! I used a 5000 gram scale, and it added up to 200 g. Phew! I was SO perplexed. I was even asking my science colleagues how this could possibly be. It was such a reproducible result. No one could answer, but I thought I'd try another scale, and when it worked, it finally dawned on me what the problem was. My students will have a good laugh over this! Great lesson! So much for having a Ph.D.!

Likes Merlin3189
By the way, thanks so much for your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Finally! Exactly! You knew something was wrong and kept going until you sorted it out. 10/10

Good work! :thumbup:

I think your students learned something more important than the planned lesson! Now you just need to convince them that was the plan all along. ;)

Hah, easy to say in hindsight, but always check your instruments over the full range you expect to measure.

1) What is the "Floating Rule" in an experiment?

The "Floating Rule" in an experiment refers to the phenomenon where a certain variable or factor appears to have a significant effect on the outcome of the experiment, even though it was not included in the initial hypothesis or experimental design.

2) Why is it important to unravel the mystery of the "Floating Rule" in an experiment?

Understanding the "Floating Rule" is crucial in order to accurately interpret the results of an experiment and make valid conclusions. If this phenomenon is not accounted for, it can lead to incorrect assumptions and potentially misleading findings.

3) How does the "Floating Rule" affect the validity of an experiment?

The "Floating Rule" can greatly impact the validity of an experiment as it introduces a confounding variable that was not accounted for in the experimental design. This can lead to inaccurate conclusions and undermine the credibility of the experiment.

4) What are some potential reasons for the presence of the "Floating Rule" in an experiment?

One possible reason for the "Floating Rule" could be an error in the experimental design, where a factor that was not intended to be controlled was unintentionally altered. Another reason could be the presence of an unobserved variable that is influencing the outcome of the experiment.

5) How can scientists address the "Floating Rule" in their experiments?

To address the "Floating Rule" in an experiment, scientists can carefully review and analyze their experimental design, ensuring that all variables are properly controlled. They can also conduct further research to identify any potential confounding variables and account for them in their analysis. Additionally, replication of the experiment can help to validate the results and rule out the possibility of the "Floating Rule".