Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unsolved Physics / Maths problems

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    OK, need to work on something of my PHD. Can someone explain to me a Physics / Math / or possibly computer programming problem that is yet unsolved.

I don't want links to wiki pages, just someone to explain to me in plain English, what the problem is, why people are struggling to solve it and how it will help society.

Thanks!
    M.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Your best bet is to be working with your advisor on a suitable problem. He/she would be in the best position to know where research is headed and provide guidance.

As far as major problems in Physics, the most famous are the Millennium problems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems

People are interested in them because they are considered foundational and because you could be awarded a million dollars. Also they could give you a clue about what you might like to research.

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hmmm.... you have been admitted to a PhD program and you don't know what you are going to work on yet?

What field are you in? Probably not any of the one's you named because otherwise you would already know about likely problems, and you wouldn't need "plain English" descriptions.

5. Nov 12, 2013 #4
    :uhh:

6. Nov 12, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

:biggrin:

7. Nov 12, 2013 #6
    :devil:

o:)Just pointing out a typo...

8. Nov 12, 2013 #7

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Two of the 7 problems are Physics-based:
    - Yang Mills Existence and Mass Gap
    - Navier Stokes Existence and Smoothness

and have interest in the Physics community

9. Nov 12, 2013 #8
    :redface:missed those...
    /end hijack

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook