Unsure of what this componenet is.

• Thread starter somekid413
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am working on a project and need to close a connection when a flat surface is grasped. I found the plans attached, and that seems like a good idea. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find something like that already built and order it to save time.

What it is is a thin layer of plastic sandwiched between 2 layers of aluminum, when its squeezed, a connection is made. I need several of these and it would be easier to just buy them.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I am working on a project and need to close a connection when a flat surface is grasped. I found the plans attached, and that seems like a good idea. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find something like that already built and order it to save time.

What it is is a thin layer of plastic sandwiched between 2 layers of aluminum, when its squeezed, a connection is made. I need several of these and it would be easier to just buy them.
Welcome to the PF. Have you priced out that component at the manufacturer?

http://www.hellfiredrums.com/

Or are you wanting to find somebody who makes things like that in different geometries to better fit your object? I'm guessing that the one you show takes a lot of force to close -- it's meant to be hit with a drumstick?

Have you looked at capacitive touch sensing as an alternative?

EDIT -- what is the object being grasped in your application?

sorry about the poor description, this is not struck, it is glued to the underside of an electronic cymbal and when a person squeezes it, it creates contact between the 2 metal sheets which shorts the circuit and causes the computer to recieve a choke signal that stops the sound of the cymbal.

this is all for an electronic drum set.

It would just be easier for me to buy it than build, so I was curious if anyone had seen anything like this commercially available.

berkeman
Mentor
sorry about the poor description, this is not struck, it is glued to the underside of an electronic cymbal and when a person squeezes it, it creates contact between the 2 metal sheets which shorts the circuit and causes the computer to recieve a choke signal that stops the sound of the cymbal.

this is all for an electronic drum set.

It would just be easier for me to buy it than build, so I was curious if anyone had seen anything like this commercially available.
Ah. Isn't it commercially available from the manufacturer's website that I linked. I just found them with a google search and didn't bother to actually read anything there though.

that's the website I got the plans from, they don't sell it, I don't think Ill find something for this exact purpose but anything that you squeeze to activate a switch would work.

well, It has to have a very slim profile and not as precise as the pedal switch in terms of pressing location.I ended up just building it according to that schematic... it took about 2 hours because I had to try twice but it seems to work really well.. i'm unsure of how long it will last so we'll have to see.

Im still surprised that I cant find something commercially available.

also, I think either I'm using the wrong terminology or were talking about different chokes here. I dont mean the pedal to clamp down the 2 hi-hats, I mean on acoustic drums to "choke" a cymbal is to grab it by its side with your hand to stop the vibration. because Electronic drums only react to the initial electronic signal of the piezo, they have a built in feature that if you short a circuit, it will cut the sound.