Upgraded to Windows 8.1, javac Not Longer Found

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone having issues with the new Java JDK (v40) after upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro and reinstalling all software. Despite checking environmental variables and ensuring the correct path, the person is still unable to compile anything on the command line and receives an error message. After some troubleshooting, it is discovered that the first download of the JDK was corrupted and a re-download and installation fixes the issue.
Cod
I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro today and reinstalled all of my software. I'm having issues with the new Java JDK (v40). I can't compile anything on the command line. I keep getting the following error message:

javac is not recognized as an internal or external command

So I went back in and checked the Environmental Variables and everything is set correctly. When I check the PATH via the command prompt, I get the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>path
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Clien
t\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:
\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:
\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\
Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Int
el(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Man
agement Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\R2012a Student\bin;C
:\Program Files\Condusiv Technologies\ExpressCache\;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.
7.0_40\bin;

I triple checked and everything is using the correct path. I even reinstalled the JDK and get the same error.

Any thoughts?

Technology news on Phys.org
It looks to me like there's an extra space in your path, right after jdk1. and before 7.0 etc. If that doesn't fix things, I would make sure that the java compiler is in that directory, and not, say, in Program Files (x86).

The space wasn't "really there". Just how it pasted after copying the command line. Turns out I finally got it working. I completely re-downloaded and installed the JDK and everything worked fine (didn't even have to change the variables). Apparently the first download was corrupted somehow.

Thanks for the help though.

1. Why is javac no longer found after upgrading to Windows 8.1?

When upgrading to Windows 8.1, the Java Development Kit (JDK) may not have been carried over properly. This could result in the javac command not being recognized.

2. How can I fix the issue of javac not being found after upgrading to Windows 8.1?

To fix this issue, you will need to reinstall the JDK on your computer. You can download the latest version of the JDK from the official Oracle website.

3. Will reinstalling the JDK affect my existing Java projects?

No, reinstalling the JDK will not affect your existing Java projects. However, it is always recommended to backup your projects before making any changes to your development environment.

4. Can I downgrade back to my previous version of Windows to fix this issue?

No, downgrading back to a previous version of Windows is not necessary to fix the issue of javac not being found. Simply reinstalling the JDK should resolve the problem.

5. How can I prevent this issue from happening again in the future?

To prevent this issue from happening again, it is important to make sure that all necessary components and programs are carried over properly when upgrading to a new operating system. It is also recommended to regularly check for updates and keep your development environment up to date.