Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upgraded to Windows 8.1, javac Not Longer Found

Tags:
  1. Oct 10, 2013 #1

Cod

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro today and reinstalled all of my software. I'm having issues with the new Java JDK (v40). I can't compile anything on the command line. I keep getting the following error message:

javac is not recognized as an internal or external command

So I went back in and checked the Environmental Variables and everything is set correctly. When I check the PATH via the command prompt, I get the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>path
    PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Clien
    t\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:
    \WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:
    \Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\
    Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Int
    el(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Man
    agement Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\R2012a Student\bin;C
    :\Program Files\Condusiv Technologies\ExpressCache\;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.
    7.0_40\bin;

I triple checked and everything is using the correct path. I even reinstalled the JDK and get the same error.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It looks to me like there's an extra space in your path, right after jdk1. and before 7.0 etc. If that doesn't fix things, I would make sure that the java compiler is in that directory, and not, say, in Program Files (x86).

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3

Cod

The space wasn't "really there". Just how it pasted after copying the command line. Turns out I finally got it working. I completely re-downloaded and installed the JDK and everything worked fine (didn't even have to change the variables). Apparently the first download was corrupted somehow.

Thanks for the help though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook