Urn Probability Question

• Thread starter bobber205
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of a white appearing on the second draw given that a white appeared on the first draw is 5/6, calculated using Bayes' Theorem.
bobber205

Homework Statement

An urn contains one white chip and a second chip that is equally likely to be white or black. A chip is drawn at random and returned to the urn. Then a second chip is drawn. What is the probability that a white appears on the second draw given that a white appeared on the first draw.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to use the equation

P(white2 | white 1) = p(white2 and white 1) / P(white1)

The back of the book says the answer is 5/6.

I am fairly sure that P(white1) is (1/2)(2/2) + (1/2)(1/2) or .75

So that would make p(white2 and white1) to be 5/8 which I can't for the life of me see why.

Any ideas on how to do this? The examples we work out in class are so elementary and I get bored. The problems assigned for homework as very hard (or at least this seems much much harder).

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
bobber205 said:
I am fairly sure that P(white1) is (1/2)(2/2) + (1/2)(1/2) or .75

So that would make p(white2 and white1) to be 5/8 which I can't for the life of me see why.

Can you calculate P(white2 and white1) for yourself, just from the given conditions? Use the same method as you used for P(white1), which is indeed correct.

Cheers -- sylas

Here's what I have. :D

P(white2 and white1) = (.5)(2/2) + (.5)(1/2)(1/2) = 5/8 which is what I need.

I didn't see it the first time that the first 1/2 represents the first one HAVING to be white while the second 1/2 is the change for the second marble, assuming the variable marble is black.

Is this correct thinking?

bobber205 said:

I didn't see it the first time that the first 1/2 represents the first one HAVING to be white while the second 1/2 is the change for the second marble, assuming the variable marble is black.

Yes, I think so. You've now solved the problem.

Don't really want to start a whole new topic on this so I'l append this topic.

"Two fair dice are rolled. What is the probability that the number on the first die was at least as large at 4 given that the sum of the two dice was eight?"

Here's what I take from it. There are only 8 possibilities for two dice to be eight. (4,4)(5,3),(6,2) and (3,5)(2,6)

This leaves 3/5 for the chance that the first dice was greater than 4 if the total was 8.

Of course there are 36 different roles one could get.

What I am trying to solve is P(1st die in >= 4 | total was eight)

which is equal to

p(1st die >=4 AND total was eight) / p(total was eight)If I add 3/5 + 5/16 then divide by 5/36 I get an invalid answer. Obviously I am suppose to divide.

Why before did I add before and this time I am using multiplication?

The probability the first die is 4 or greater and the total is 8 is 3/36. As you noted, there are the three ways to achieve that outcome and there are 36 possible outcomes in total.

bobber205 said:

I don't understand what you did. Can you elaborate?

I don't think this is a simple conditional probability problem; it's a Bayes' Theorem problem. Before the first draw, the probability of the second chip being white is 0.5, but after you draw a chip, you have additional information as to what color the second chip may be. For example, if you drew a black chip first, you would now know for certain the second chip is black, and the probability of a white on the second draw would be 0.5, compared to 0.75 on the first draw. In the problem, since the first draw was white, it's now more likely that the second chip is white. The idea is to find this new probability to determine the chance the second chip drawn will be a white chip.

What is the Urn Probability Question?

The Urn Probability Question is a classic probability problem where an urn contains colored balls and the probability of drawing a certain color is determined based on the number of balls of that color in the urn.

What is the basic setup of the Urn Probability Question?

The basic setup of the Urn Probability Question involves an urn containing a certain number of colored balls, with a specific number of each color. The question typically asks for the probability of drawing a certain color from the urn, with or without replacement.

What are the key factors to consider in solving the Urn Probability Question?

The key factors to consider in solving the Urn Probability Question are the total number of balls in the urn, the number of balls of the desired color, and whether or not the balls are replaced after being drawn.

What is the formula for calculating the probability in the Urn Probability Question?

The formula for calculating the probability in the Urn Probability Question is: probability = (number of desired outcomes) / (total number of possible outcomes).

What are some variations of the Urn Probability Question?

Some variations of the Urn Probability Question include changing the number of balls of a certain color, adding or removing colors, and changing the sampling method (with or without replacement).