US/European Power Converter Question

In summary: W and a "solid state power converter for non-electronic devices" that can handle 2000W. He asks what about the solid state power converter makes it incapable of being used with electronics and is told it is the waveform shape. Power is not power. He is told that if his electronics have a 115V, 60 Hz transformer, they can use the step-down autotransformer. The cost is $160 and the weight is 20 pounds.
dr87
Hello all!

I just moved to Ireland with my U.S. music equipment in tow, and after doing a little googling I'm still having trouble getting the answers I'm looking for. So here goes:

I bought a converter which has a transformer in it that is capable of handling 50W, as well as a "solid state power converter for non-electronic devices" that can handle 2000W.

Here is my question: what about the solid state power converter makes it incapable of being used for electronics? Is it the waveform shape? Power is power, right, so if it can output a certain current at the standard U.S. 120VAC, why is it unusable with electronics? It seems to me the only thing that could possibly distinguish a 1500 watt load from a ceramic heater and a 1500 watt load from 10 guitar amps is changes in power factor due to capacitive/inductive effects...what am I missing? Could I possibly hurt anything besides the converter by trying to drive my equipment with it?

Also, can anyone explain to me or point me to a schematic of this mysterious 'solid state power converter'? Is it just some sort of switching supply topology?

Thanks for the insight.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The converter is likely designed in such a way that it outputs some horrible locking waveform; i.e. something that probably looks more like a square wave than a sine. It would probably be a very bad idea to hook it up to your hifi.
And yes, it is most likely using some form of switching topology; this is what makes is so efficient (but it is also the reason why it is not generating a pure sine).

Power is not power. You need to convert voltage, and maybe frequency also.

Does your electronics have 115V, 60 Hz transformers? Are they rated for 50 Hz operation? Will you be using 230V 50 Hz power? If so, you can use a step-down autotransformer.Cost ~$160, weight ~ 20 pounds.

Some 60 Hz transformers are not rated for 50 Hz operation, because 50 Hz power will exceed the volt-seconds limit on the transformer primary.

If you need to convert 50 Hz to 60 Hz, you need a rotary converter (motor-alternator) or a AC-DC-AC solid state inverter with a filtered sine-wave output.

I hope this helps.

Bob S

What is a US/European power converter?

A US/European power converter is a device that allows electronic devices to be used in countries with different electrical systems. This is necessary because the US and Europe have different voltages and plug shapes.

How do I know if I need a US/European power converter?

If you are traveling from the US to Europe (or vice versa), you will likely need a power converter since the US uses 120V and Europe uses 220-240V. You can check the voltage requirements of your electronic devices to confirm if a converter is necessary.

Can I use a power adapter instead of a converter?

No, a power adapter only changes the shape of the plug to fit into different outlets. It does not change the voltage, so it is not suitable for use with devices that require a different voltage.

Are all US/European power converters the same?

No, there are different types of converters depending on the specific countries and their electrical systems. Make sure to research and purchase the correct converter for the specific countries you will be traveling to.

Can I use a US/European power converter for all my devices?

It depends on the wattage of your devices and the converter's capacity. Make sure to check the wattage of your devices and purchase a converter with a higher wattage capacity to ensure it can handle all your devices. It is also recommended to not use high wattage devices (such as hair dryers) with a converter, as it can cause damage to the device or the converter.