US government snail-mail logging

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary, the US government is monitoring the contents of snail mail by capturing the sender and destination names and addresses on the envelope. This program is similar to the electronic tracking of e-mail, text messages, and other digital content.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think I've seen the analogy somewhere, that the much-discussed capturing of meta-data for e-mail, text messages etc. is like recording the sender and destination names and addresses on a snail-mail envelope without actually opening the envelope.

Well, surprise... the US government is doing that too, with the cooperation of the US Postal Service. It's called the "Mail Isolation Control and Tracking" program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/us/monitoring-of-snail-mail.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a difference. Its as if they logged not just snail-mail USPS, but also all of your Fed Ex, UPS, etc. packages that are not affiliated with or funded by the US government.

If my email was blahblah[at]email.us.gov I could expect some tracking statistics. And I expect some internal tracking statistics for gmail, yahoo etc. But INTERNAL and sharing with 3rd party entities without consent is a little different. Or if it said in the TOS that it would share meta-data with the government, then I would have accepted.

Theres a difference for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
I think I've seen the analogy somewhere, that the much-discussed capturing of meta-data for e-mail, text messages etc. is like recording the sender and destination names and addresses on a snail-mail envelope without actually opening the envelope.

Well, surprise... the US government is doing that too, with the cooperation of the US Postal Service. It's called the "Mail Isolation Control and Tracking" program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/us/monitoring-of-snail-mail.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I suppose the next thing will be intelligent bar codes on snail mail. (some simple bar code systems are already in use).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Mail_barcode

jtbell said:

I am surprised that it has'nt been contracted out to a private company.

from the ink:

Mr. Pickering was targeted by a longtime surveillance system called mail covers, a forerunner of a vastly more expansive effort, the Mail Isolation Control and Tracking program, in which Postal Service computers photograph the exterior of every piece of paper mail that is processed in the United States — about 160 billion pieces last year. It is not known how long the government saves the images.

I find this revelation concerning and potentially invasive. The comparison to recording sender and destination information on a snail-mail envelope without opening it is accurate, as this program allows the government to track and store information about the mail without physically opening it.

While it may be argued that this program is necessary for national security purposes, it raises ethical concerns about privacy and government surveillance. The collection and storage of this information could potentially be used for purposes beyond its intended use, and the lack of transparency surrounding the program is troubling.

As scientists, we value the importance of data privacy and the need for informed consent when collecting and using data. The government should be held to these same standards and should be transparent about the extent of their surveillance programs.

In addition, the potential for errors or misuse of this data cannot be ignored. The government must ensure that proper protocols are in place to protect the accuracy and security of this information.

In summary, as a scientist, I believe that the US government's snail-mail logging program raises important questions about privacy, transparency, and data ethics. Further discussion and oversight are necessary to ensure that the rights and privacy of citizens are protected while also addressing national security concerns.

1) What is US government snail-mail logging?

US government snail-mail logging refers to the practice of tracking and recording information about physical mail sent through the postal system. This can include details such as sender and recipient information, date and time of mailing, and the contents of the mail.

2) Why does the US government log snail-mail?

The US government logs snail-mail for a variety of reasons, including national security and law enforcement purposes. This practice allows them to monitor and track potential threats and illegal activities, as well as gather intelligence and evidence for investigations.

3) Is snail-mail logging legal?

Yes, snail-mail logging is legal in the United States. The Postal Service Act of 2006 gives the US Postal Service the authority to collect and retain data on mail, and the Fourth Amendment allows for the collection of mail-related information without a warrant.

4) Can the US government read the contents of my mail?

In most cases, the US government cannot legally read the contents of your mail without a warrant. However, they may scan for keywords or patterns that could indicate suspicious or illegal activity, and if they have reasonable cause, they can obtain a warrant to open and read the mail.

5) How long does the US government keep snail-mail logs?

The US government is required to retain snail-mail logs for a minimum of one year, but they may keep them for longer periods of time if deemed necessary for national security or law enforcement purposes.