US News: black/white pay gap rising due to discrimination

• News
  • Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap News
In summary: Reagan years.In summary, the paper by William Rodgers and others finds that the growth in the racial wage gap is due to discrimination, with other unmeasured and unobserved characteristics playing a role as well.
mheslep said:
Asked and answered some decades ago, starting at 7:40 here:

Thomas Sowell is one of my heroes. I wish he would run for President.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
This is largely a myth due to the fact that the wealthy pay virtually all of the income taxes anyway (top 20% pay 87% of the income taxes) and the poor and lower-middle earners pay nothing or less than nothing (45% of households in 2015). As a result, tax cuts will always necessarily "favor" the wealthy, since you can't cut income taxes for people who don't pay income taxes. Essentially, the growth in income inequality has enabled the rich to pay an increasing share of the income taxes despite decreasing top tax rates (note: due to rising incomes, that doesn't necessarily even mean the rates they pay have decreased, since more income means more paid in the higher tax brackets). The share paid by the top 20% has increased to that 87% from 57% in 1969 and 69% in 2005.

This "inequality" isn't talked about much by the media, but presents a serious political/social danger in my opinion.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/45-of-americans-pay-no-federal-income-tax-2016-02-24
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29861648/...ll/t/how-tax-burden-has-changed/#.V-O4DPkrK00

Dang it Russ, there you go casting aspersions on the narrative by using facts. You heretic.

russ_watters said:
Yes, and what he said about it was wildly misleading. Very disappointing for such a highly respected businessman.

Not respected by me. Personally, I don't like his politics, and one other little item. Every year he is required to disclose the holdings of BH's portfolio. We know what companies he's invested in, and to what degree. So it really slays me to watch BH stock appreciate at the rate it does, knowing the growth of the companies he's invested in. The math doesn't add up. Something is not quite right in Buffetland.

olivermsun said:
Are you saying that it wouldn't be right for people over the cap to pay more without getting more benefits?
Yes.

russ_watters said:
Yes.
Given the premise of social security, it seems reasonable to ask whether people who would be severely impacted by a 17% cut in benefits need those benefits more than people earning more than $118k need their exemption.

olivermsun said:
Given the premise of social security, it seems reasonable to ask whether people who would be severely impacted by a 17% cut in benefits need those benefits more than people earning more than $118k need their exemption.
I'm not against asking any question; I think everything should be discussed. The answer to your question is yes. The problem is, the answer to that question is *always* yes and I don't think that is a road a capitalist democracy should be on.

My favorite question on the subject though is: do you want to make a bad program better or just keep making it worse?

Last edited:
Back