Convolution Dirac impulse and periodic signal

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving convolution with a periodic signal and a Dirac impulse. The periodic signal is given by x(t)=sen(πt)(u(t)−u(t−2)) and the Dirac impulse is represented by h(t)=u(t−1)−u(t−3). The book suggests using ∫to t-1 from 0 (senπtdτ) instead of ∫to 0 from 1 ((senπ(t−τ)dτ) − ∫to 1 from t−1 (senπ(t−τ)dτ))) for the convolution, which may be a result of interchanging the roles of x and h. The conversation also discusses the limits of
ellosma
Hi ☺️ i have to do a convolution with a periodic signal and a dirac impulse:
x(t)=sen(πt)(u(t)−u(t−2))
h(t)=u(t−1)−u(t−3)
The first is a periodic graph that intersect axis x in points 0 , 1 and 2 (ecc)
The se ing is a rectangle ( Dirac impulse ) that intersect AxiS x in points 1 and 3.
For t−1<0 and t−3>0 convolution doesn't exist
For me is ∫to 0 from 1 ((senπ(t−τ)dτ) − ∫to 1 from t−1 (senπ(t−τ)dτ))) but my book write ∫to t-1 from 0 (senπtdτ)
Could someone tell me why he cancel -τ and how to do this ex without Fourier ? Thank you very much and Sorry for my terrible english but I'm italian

Physics news on Phys.org
ellosma said:
Hi ☺️ i have to do a convolution with a periodic signal and a dirac impulse:
x(t)=sen(πt)(u(t)−u(t−2))
h(t)=u(t−1)−u(t−3)
The first is a periodic graph that intersect axis x in points 0 , 1 and 2 (ecc)
The se ing is a rectangle ( Dirac impulse ) that intersect AxiS x in points 1 and 3.
For t−1<0 and t−3>0 convolution doesn't exist
I wouldn't say the convolution doesn't exist. I think you mean x*h(t) = 0. If so, it's not true that it's equal to 0 for t-3>0.

For me is ∫to 0 from 1 ((senπ(t−τ)dτ) − ∫to 1 from t−1 (senπ(t−τ)dτ))) but my book write ∫to t-1 from 0 (senπtdτ)
Could someone tell me why he cancel -τ and how to do this ex without Fourier ? Thank you very much and Sorry for my terrible english but I'm italian
I suspect the book simply interchanged the roles of x and h compared to what you did. The convolution is given by
$$(x*h)(t) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x(\tau)h(t-\tau)\,d\tau,$$ and since x(t)=0 for t<0 and t>2, you can write
$$(x*h)(t) = \int_{0}^2 (\sin\pi\tau)h(t-\tau)\,d\tau.$$ The variable that's in the argument of sine should be ##\tau##, not ##t## as you said the book has.

What is "sen(πt)" ? Is "sen" Italian for "sin"? I will assume so.
So we have
f(t) = sin(πt){u(t) - u(t-2)}
g(t) = u(t-1) -u(t-3)
You are probably best off with
f*g = integral from T = -∞ to +∞ of f(t-T)g(T)dT.

The trick here is to determine how the various u(t) combine. You will need the fact that u(t-T) = u{-(T-t)}.
If you graph the two u terms (one in f, the other in g) then you will see that the limits of integration change from (-∞, +∞) to (0, t-1).

The final answer should include a coefficient {u(t-1) - u(t-3)} which has the effect of making the convolution = 0 for t < 1 and > 3.

vela said:
I wouldn't say the convolution doesn't exist. I think you mean x*h(t) = 0. If so, it's not true that it's equal to 0 for t-3>0.I suspect the book simply interchanged the roles of x and h compared to what you did. The convolution is given by
$$(x*h)(t) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x(\tau)h(t-\tau)\,d\tau,$$ and since x(t)=0 for t<0 and t>2, you can write
$$(x*h)(t) = \int_{0}^2 (\sin\pi\tau)h(t-\tau)\,d\tau.$$ The variable that's in the argument of sine should be ##\tau##, not ##t## as you said the book has.
?
The convolution g*t is a function of t. After you've performed the integration you need a "t" in the sine function I think.
You also used 2 instead of 3 for the upper limit on t.

rude man said:
The final answer should include a coefficient {u(t-1) - u(t-3)} which has the effect of making the convolution = 0 for t < 1 and > 3.
That's wrong.

rude man said:
The convolution g*t is a function of t. After you've performed the integration you need a "t" in the sine function I think.
The sine I was referring to is inside the integral, so no, it's not supposed to be a function of t. If it were, it would be a constant and you could pull it out of the integral.

You also used 2 instead of 3 for the upper limit on t.
Because x(t) is non-zero only between 0 and 2. And it's the upper limit on ##\tau##, not t.

vela said:
That's wrong.
Oh? How?

The sine I was referring to is inside the integral, so no, it's not supposed to be a function of t. If it were, it would be a constant and you could pull it out of the integral.

After integrating to constant limits it is a constant except for modulation by u(t) functions. I never suggested it could be "pulled out of the integral".

Because x(t) is non-zero only between 0 and 2. And it's the upper limit on ##\tau##, not t.

The upper limit on T is t-1.

The OP will have to decide I guess which of us is right. For the record, my answer agrees with what is in his/her textbook.

Last edited:
Here's a plot of ##x(\tau)## and ##h(t-\tau)## for ##t=4##. Still think the convolution is 0 when t>3?

Attachments

• convolve.pdf
    14.1 KB · Views: 302
vela said:
Here's a plot of ##x(\tau)## and ##h(t-\tau)## for ##t=4##. Still think the convolution is 0 when t>3?
It is if the problem states it is, which it does: "For t−1<0 and t−3>0 convolution doesn't exist."

rude man said:
After integrating to constant limits it is a constant except for modulation by u(t) functions. I never suggested it could be "pulled out of the integral".
I don't know if you're trying to be deliberately obtuse. The OP wrote that the book said the integral was
$$\int_0^{t-1} \sin \pi t\,d\tau.$$ ##\sin\pi t## is independent of the variable of integration ##\tau##, so that integral is equal to
$$\int_0^{t-1} \sin \pi t\,d\tau = \sin\pi t \int_0^{t-1}d\tau = (t-1)\sin\pi t.$$ Are you claiming that's correct?

vela said:
I don't know if you're trying to be deliberately obtuse. The OP wrote that the book said the integral was
$$\int_0^{t-1} \sin \pi t\,d\tau.$$ ##\sin\pi t## is independent of the variable of integration ##\tau##, so that integral is equal to
$$\int_0^{t-1} \sin \pi t\,d\tau = \sin\pi t \int_0^{t-1}d\tau = (t-1)\sin\pi t.$$ Are you claiming that's correct?
Of course not.
I think this discussion has borne all the fruit it can. Thanks for your patience.

1. What is a Convolution Dirac Impulse?

A Convolution Dirac Impulse, also known as a delta function, is a mathematical function that represents an infinitely narrow and infinitely tall spike at a specific point. It is used in signal processing to describe the response of a system to an impulse input.

2. How is Convolution Dirac Impulse used in signal processing?

Convolution Dirac Impulse is used in signal processing to model the response of a linear system to an input signal. It is convolved with the input signal to produce the output signal, which can then be analyzed for various properties such as frequency response and time-domain behavior.

3. What is a periodic signal?

A periodic signal is a signal that repeats itself at regular intervals. This means that after a certain period of time, the signal will repeat the same pattern. Examples of periodic signals include sine waves, square waves, and sawtooth waves.

4. How is Convolution Dirac Impulse related to periodic signals?

Convolution Dirac Impulse is used to model the response of a periodic signal to an impulse input. Since periodic signals repeat themselves at regular intervals, the response to an impulse input will also repeat itself at those same intervals. This allows us to analyze the overall behavior of the system over time.

5. Can Convolution Dirac Impulse be used to analyze non-periodic signals?

Yes, Convolution Dirac Impulse can also be used to analyze non-periodic signals. While periodic signals have a specific period of repetition, non-periodic signals do not. However, by using Convolution Dirac Impulse, we can still analyze the response of a non-periodic signal to an impulse input and gain insights into the behavior of the system.