1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution Dirac impulse and periodic signal

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    Hi ☺️ i have to do a convolution with a periodic signal and a dirac impulse:
    x(t)=sen(πt)(u(t)−u(t−2))
    h(t)=u(t−1)−u(t−3)
    The first is a periodic graph that intersect axis x in points 0 , 1 and 2 (ecc)
    The se ing is a rectangle ( Dirac impulse ) that intersect AxiS x in points 1 and 3.
    For t−1<0 and t−3>0 convolution doesn't exist
    For me is ∫to 0 from 1 ((senπ(t−τ)dτ) − ∫to 1 from t−1 (senπ(t−τ)dτ))) but my book write ∫to t-1 from 0 (senπtdτ)
    Could someone tell me why he cancel -τ and how to do this ex without Fourier ? Thank you very much and Sorry for my terrible english but i'm italian

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I wouldn't say the convolution doesn't exist. I think you mean x*h(t) = 0. If so, it's not true that it's equal to 0 for t-3>0.

I suspect the book simply interchanged the roles of x and h compared to what you did. The convolution is given by
    $$(x*h)(t) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x(\tau)h(t-\tau)\,d\tau,$$ and since x(t)=0 for t<0 and t>2, you can write
    $$(x*h)(t) = \int_{0}^2 (\sin\pi\tau)h(t-\tau)\,d\tau.$$ The variable that's in the argument of sine should be ##\tau##, not ##t## as you said the book has.

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is "sen(πt)" ? Is "sen" Italian for "sin"? I will assume so.
    So we have
    f(t) = sin(πt){u(t) - u(t-2)}
    g(t) = u(t-1) -u(t-3)
    You are probably best off with
    f*g = integral from T = -∞ to +∞ of f(t-T)g(T)dT.

The trick here is to determine how the various u(t) combine. You will need the fact that u(t-T) = u{-(T-t)}.
    If you graph the two u terms (one in f, the other in g) then you will see that the limits of integration change from (-∞, +∞) to (0, t-1).

The final answer should include a coefficient {u(t-1) - u(t-3)} which has the effect of making the convolution = 0 for t < 1 and > 3.

5. Nov 3, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

???
    The convolution g*t is a function of t. After you've performed the integration you need a "t" in the sine function I think.
    You also used 2 instead of 3 for the upper limit on t.

6. Nov 3, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's wrong.

The sine I was referring to is inside the integral, so no, it's not supposed to be a function of t. If it were, it would be a constant and you could pull it out of the integral.

Because x(t) is non-zero only between 0 and 2. And it's the upper limit on ##\tau##, not t.

7. Nov 3, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh? How?

After integrating to constant limits it is a constant except for modulation by u(t) functions. I never suggested it could be "pulled out of the integral".

The upper limit on T is t-1.

The OP will have to decide I guess which of us is right. For the record, my answer agrees with what is in his/her textbook.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  8. Nov 3, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Here's a plot of ##x(\tau)## and ##h(t-\tau)## for ##t=4##. Still think the convolution is 0 when t>3?

Attached Files:

9. Nov 3, 2014 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is if the problem states it is, which it does: "For t−1<0 and t−3>0 convolution doesn't exist."

10. Nov 3, 2014 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't know if you're trying to be deliberately obtuse. The OP wrote that the book said the integral was
    $$\int_0^{t-1} \sin \pi t\,d\tau.$$ ##\sin\pi t## is independent of the variable of integration ##\tau##, so that integral is equal to
    $$\int_0^{t-1} \sin \pi t\,d\tau = \sin\pi t \int_0^{t-1}d\tau = (t-1)\sin\pi t.$$ Are you claiming that's correct?

11. Nov 3, 2014 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course not.
    I think this discussion has borne all the fruit it can. Thanks for your patience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted