1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse Response Function Problem

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    YQcgz8M.png

I attempted by inputting u(τ-t)u(t-τ) into the second part of the integral. Since I want to change the second part of the integral to go from [+∞, -∞]. And as for first part of the integral I added a u(t-τ) term after the x(τ) to change the integral from [t,-∞] into [+∞, -∞]. I am not sure if I did them right. And after factoring out the common term x(τ)u(t-τ) (I assume this is my input) from the two integrals I get that my IRF h(t,τ) = 1 + e^(t-τ) * u(τ-t). I am not sure about the answer and I did not know how to solve for the Unit Step Response of this system. Please Help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2
    Hello abcz4113,

At first thought, I would separate the cases where [itex]t<0[/itex], [itex]t=0[/itex] and [itex]t>0[/itex], assuming your impulse or unit step happens at [itex]t=0[/itex], and use the knowledge of [itex]h(t)[/itex] and [itex]g(t)[/itex].

I will have a closer look at this in a moment.

4. Apr 25, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My first observation is that this system seems to be non-causal. Compare the first integral to the convolution integral relating input to output, then ask yourself what the second integral is doing there ...

5. Apr 25, 2013 #4
    Thank you for your hints. I know how to do it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted