Use Coulomb's Law to calculate the number of excess electrons

In summary: That's what I would do.In summary, using Coulomb's Law, the number of excess electrons on the second object can be calculated to be approximately 8.24.
dwach

Homework Statement

Two negatively charged objects repel each other with a measured force of 6.3 N when they are 0.5 cm apart. If the excess charge on one of the objects is caused by 8.3 x 10^22 extra electrons, use Coulomb's Law to calculate the number of excess electrons on the second object.

Homework Equations

F = k*(q1)*(q2) / r^2

1e = 1.602 * 10^-19 c
1c = 6.242 * 10^18 e
k = 9.0 * 10^9 N*m^2/c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the excess charge to be:

(8.3*10^22 e) * (1.602 *10^-19) = 1.3 * 10^4 c

I used this as q2 in the F = k*(q1)*(q2) / r^2 equation and rearranged to find that:

q1 = (F * r^2) / k*q2
q1 = (6.3N * 0.005m^2) / (9.0*10^9N*m^2/c^2)*(1.3*10^4c)
q1 = 1.3 * 10^-18

Since 1c = 6.242*10^18e, to find number of excess electrons i multiplied q1 by 6.242*10^18 = 8.1146 eSo is the number of excess electrons on the second object 8.1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, dwach!
Your calc looks good, and thank you for taking time to write out the method so clearly. I don't know what accuracy you need; I'm used to 3 digits so I keep 4 in intermediate steps and I got 1.318 x 10^-18 for the charge, which is 8.24 electrons.

Thank you for the quick response Delphi51. In this question I need 2 digit accuracy so would you suggest that I carry 3 digits through the intermediate steps?

Last edited:
Yes, you must carry 3 digits to get 2 at the end. In practise, you probably will just keep all the digits your calculator produces for the first calc and only round when you write down the final answer.

Your calculations are correct. The number of excess electrons on the second object can be rounded to 8.1.

1. How do I determine the number of excess electrons using Coulomb's Law?

The number of excess electrons can be calculated by using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By rearranging this equation and solving for the number of excess electrons, you can calculate the number of excess electrons based on the given charge and distance.

2. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law and how do I use it?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force of attraction or repulsion, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x109 Nm2/C2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them. To use this formula, simply plug in the given values for the charges and distance and solve for the force, which can then be used to calculate the number of excess electrons.

3. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the number of excess electrons for any type of charged particle?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the number of excess electrons for any type of charged particle, as long as the charges and distance between them are known. This law applies to both positive and negative charges, and can be used to calculate the force and number of excess electrons for any combination of charged particles.

4. What units should I use when using Coulomb's Law to calculate the number of excess electrons?

When using Coulomb's Law to calculate the number of excess electrons, it is important to use the correct units for charge (Coulombs) and distance (meters). The Coulomb's constant (k) is given in units of Nm2/C2, so make sure that your values for charge and distance are in these units as well. If not, you may need to convert the units before plugging them into the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using Coulomb's Law to calculate the number of excess electrons?

While Coulomb's Law is a useful tool for calculating the number of excess electrons, it does have some limitations. This law assumes that the particles are point charges and that the distance between them is much greater than their size. Additionally, it only applies to stationary charged particles, so it cannot be used for moving charges or in situations where electromagnetic effects are significant.