1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use part 1 of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the derivative.

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. h(x) = ∫-3 to sin(x) of (cos(t^3) + t)dt

2. Okay, I know that you are supposed to replace t with the upper limit, and then I think you multiply that term by the derivative of the upper limit.

So I thought it would be:

cos(sinx)^3 * cos(x) + sinxcosx

But what even is cos(sinx)? I've seen sinxcosx before but not that...
    But I put this answer anyway into my computer hw system, and it's counted wrong.

Would you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(cos(sin(x)^3)+sin(x))*cos(x) is not the same thing as ((cos(sin(x))^3+sin(x))*cos(x). Do you see the difference? Which would you say is correct? I suspect you aren't using enough parentheses.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  4. Jan 13, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll try to use some amateurish tex here to try to emphasize the difference between the important parts. [itex]\cos((\sin x)^3)[/itex] vs [itex](\cos(\sin x))^3[/itex] Which one do you want?

5. Jan 13, 2013 #4
    You were absolutely right! The parentheses were off!

cos((sinx)^3) should be the right one. I only want to cube the sinx.

The right answer was:

[cos(sin(x)^3) + sin(x)]cos(x)

Oh, this may sound dumb, but... if you were to multiply this out, how would it be written?

Could you condense the cosines (to something like cos^2(x)(sin(x)^3) or would it have to remain as cos(sin(x)^3)*cos(x) ?

cos^2(x) means cos(x)*cos(x)... But there are not two x's... So is cos(sin(x)^3)*cos(x) the most simplified version?

Thank you so much for helping! :)

6. Jan 13, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cos(sin(x)^3) is the most simplified version. There's not much you can do with it. There's no trig law that will let you expand it out.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. Jan 13, 2013 #6
    Oh, okay. Thank you so much! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook