1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    1. Find the derivative of:
    ∫cos3(t)

where a = 1/x and b = ∏/3

This was a part of a question on my first calc exam and I just wanted to know if I did it correctly.

We can solve this using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Part II

The solution would be to simply plug in the values for a and b, which should give a final answer of -1 - cos3(1/x)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What was the problem exactly ?

Was it, find [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_{1/x}^{\pi/3}{\cos^3(t)}\,dt\ ?[/itex]

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3
    Yes. That was it

5. Jul 9, 2012 #4
    It said find the derivative of: and then the integral you gave

6. Jul 9, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, what you have is incorrect. You do NOT "just plug in values for a and b"- the problem is not quite that simple. In particular, the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" says that
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(t)dt= f(x)[/tex]
    so you have to do something about the facts that
    1) "x" is in the lower limit, not the upper.
    2) The limit is 1/x, not x.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1/x}^{\pi/3} cos^3(t)dt= -\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\pi/3}^{1/x}cos^3(t)dt[/tex]
    If you let u= 1/x, that is
    [tex]-\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\pi/3}^u cos^3(t)dt= -\frac{du}{dx}\frac{d}{du}\int_{\pi/3}^u cos^3(t)dt[/tex]

The derivative of dF/dx is (du/dx)(dF/du) so you need to find du/dx from the definition of u and dF/du from the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook