1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid.

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid.
    2. Inside the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16 and outside the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4.

2. The attempt at a solution

My attempt as following:
    2<=r<=4, and 0<=theta<=2pi

So I do a double integral of f(x,y)=sqrt(16-r^2)r dr d(theta) and it gives me 16sqrt(3)pi

but I saw the answer somewhere, the volume is 2 times the answer I got, I cannot figure out why 2 times? and in the answer it says "by symmetry", any explanation will be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2
    you found the area of the annulus in the polar plane (two integrals: rdrdt), but you need to set your upper and lower bounds wrt the upper and lower halves of the sphere(third integral dz). the double negatives sum to twice your value.

[edit] a little backwards, dz is being evaluated first.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. Apr 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I think I got the idea here, when I set z=0 I get the sphere on xy plane together with the cylinder to find the range of r,

But I just forget the lower half, that's where the 2 times comes from . :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook