Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid.

In summary, the conversation discusses using polar coordinates to find the volume of a solid inside a sphere and outside a cylinder. The solution involves setting the bounds for the double integral based on the upper and lower halves of the sphere. The factor of 2 comes from forgetting to include the lower half.
ryantc

Homework Statement

1. Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid.
2. Inside the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16 and outside the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4.

2. The attempt at a solution

My attempt as following:
2<=r<=4, and 0<=theta<=2pi

So I do a double integral of f(x,y)=sqrt(16-r^2)r dr d(theta) and it gives me 16sqrt(3)pi

but I saw the answer somewhere, the volume is 2 times the answer I got, I cannot figure out why 2 times? and in the answer it says "by symmetry", any explanation will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
you found the area of the annulus in the polar plane (two integrals: rdrdt), but you need to set your upper and lower bounds wrt the upper and lower halves of the sphere(third integral dz). the double negatives sum to twice your value.

[edit] a little backwards, dz is being evaluated first.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I got the idea here, when I set z=0 I get the sphere on xy plane together with the cylinder to find the range of r,

But I just forget the lower half, that's where the 2 times comes from . :(

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of coordinates used to specify the position of a point in a plane. They are based on the distance from a fixed point (known as the pole or origin) and the angle from a fixed reference direction (known as the polar axis).

2. How do you use polar coordinates to find the volume of a solid?

To use polar coordinates to find the volume of a solid, you first need to convert the given solid into polar coordinates. Then, you can use the formula for finding the volume of a solid in polar coordinates, which is V = ∫∫∫ f(r, θ) r dr dθ. This involves integrating the function f(r, θ) over the appropriate range of r and θ values.

3. What types of solids can be measured using polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates can be used to find the volume of any solid that can be represented in polar coordinates, such as cylinders, cones, spheres, and more complex shapes that can be broken down into polar equations.

4. Can polar coordinates be used to find the volume of a solid in three dimensions?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to find the volume of a solid in three dimensions. This is because polar coordinates can be extended into three dimensions by adding a third coordinate, known as the height or z-coordinate.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates to find the volume of a solid?

One limitation of using polar coordinates to find the volume of a solid is that it may not be as efficient as using rectangular coordinates for certain shapes. Additionally, converting the solid into polar coordinates may be more challenging for some shapes compared to others. It is important to choose the most appropriate coordinate system based on the given solid to ensure accurate results.