Use spherical cord to compute area of a disk

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
kougou
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Use spherical cords to compute area of a disk, that's center at x,y=0, and z=4, having a radius of 3

Homework Equations



I set up a triple ∫∫∫ (r^2* sin(theta)), running from phi =0 to 2pi,
theta=0 to arcsin(3/5), r=5sin(theta) to 5.

The Attempt at a Solution


It doesn't give me a current answer. What's wrong

Am I even on the right track?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kougou said:

Homework Statement



Use spherical cords to compute area of a disk, that's center at x,y=0, and z=4, having a radius of 3

Homework Equations



I set up a triple ∫∫∫ (r^2* sin(theta)), running from phi =0 to 2pi,
theta=0 to arcsin(3/5), r=5sin(theta) to 5.
This is way off. To compute area you need only a single integral or at most a double integral.

Also, you have omitted the differentials on your integral.
kougou said:

The Attempt at a Solution


It doesn't give me a current answer. What's wrong

Am I even on the right track?