1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use trigonometric substitution to verify

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using trigonometric substitution, verify that
    [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{a^2[-t^2}[/tex]dt (INTEGRAL FROM 0 TO [tex]\pi[/tex])=(1/2)a^2sin^{-1}(x/a)+(1/2)x[tex]\sqrt{a^2-x^2[/tex]

Sorry it doesn't seem to want to allow me to place superscript inside a square root. but inside the first sq. root is a2-t2 and the second sq. root contains a2-x2

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\sqrt{a^2-x^2}[/tex]

x=asin([tex]\theta[/tex])

-([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] ([tex]\pi[/tex]/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

replacing x with asin[tex]\theta[/tex] in the original integral
    [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{a^2-(asin^2\theta}[/tex]dt
    multiply and factor out. Change 1-sin^2[tex]\theta[/tex] to cos^2[tex]\theta[/tex]
    replace dt with dt=(-a)cos[tex]\theta[/tex] d[tex]\theta[/tex] because t=asin[tex]\theta[/tex]
    End up with
    [tex]\int[/tex] (a)(cos[tex]\theta[/tex])(-a)(cos[tex]\theta[/tex])d[tex]\theta[/tex]
    Combine and get
    -[tex]\int[/tex] a2cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] d[tex]\theta[/tex]

At this point I considered pulling the a2 out in front since, unless I'm confused, it represents a constant and changing cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] to 1-sin2[tex]\theta[/tex] but that hasn't seemed to get me any close. Any help would be much appreciated or if I've made a mistake already identifying that for me would be excellent. Please and thank you all.
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, changing cos^2(theta) to sin^2(theta) doesn't help much. But using a double angle formula does. Change it to (1+cos(2*theta))/2

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?