1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use viscosity/shear stress relations to find torque needed to rotate disk

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    The problem asks for an approximation for the torque needed to rotate a disk that is separated from a stationary boundary by a viscous fluid, given that [itex]\tau = \mu \frac{U}{H}[/itex].

I did it first using like this:
    [itex]T = F R[/itex]
    [itex]F = \tau A = \mu \frac{U}{H} \pi R^2[/itex] where [itex]U = \Omega R[/itex]
    And thus [itex]T = \mu \frac{\Omega \pi R^4}{H}[/itex]

Now making the following assumptions...
    Flow is steady
    Flow is a function of height (z) only
    Film is thin enough that the pressure gradient is negligible
    ...I started with momentum:

[itex]\rho \frac{du}{dt} = -\nabla p + \mu \nabla^2 u[/itex] which reduces to [itex]0 = 0 + \mu \nabla^2 u(z)[/itex]
    Where [itex]u(z) = \frac{C_1 z}{\mu} + C_2[/itex]
    Using the boundary conditions
    [itex]u(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]u(H) = U[/itex] yields [itex]C_1 = \mu \frac{U}{H} = \tau[/itex] and [itex]C_2 = 0[/itex] so that
    [itex]u(z) = \tau \frac{z}{\mu} = \frac{U z}{H} = \frac{R \Omega z}{H}[/itex]

Here is where I have trouble; a classmate told me to square the velocity and multiply it with mass
    [itex]T = M u(z)^2 = M \frac{\Omega^2 R^2 z^2}{H^2}[/itex] and let z = R and [itex]\mu = M \frac{\Omega}{H}[/itex] so that the equation becomes
    [itex]T = \mu \frac{\Omega R^4}{H}[/itex]
    Which is the same as I got before, but without the constant [itex]\pi[/itex]
    I'm note very comfortable with this because it takes the same form as kinetic energy [itex](\frac{1}{2}Mv^2)[/itex] but it does seem to yield the correct answer. Is this true? Another problem I have is keeping track of the vectors vs. scalars but I'll get into that later on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2
    This is not done correctly, because the shear stress on the disk is a function of radial location. The calculation needs to involve an integration with respect to r, over annular increments.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted