Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uses of very large magnetic fields

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    Ok, so i was browsing around wiki and read about something called a magnetar, which is a very dense neutron star producing magnetic fields in the order of 10 gigatesla. According to the write up, photons split up readily into 2 or more photons. now i know the most powerful magnets we have available for experimental purposes is about 1000 T, my question is, hypothetically of course, what would be the potential uses of a powerful reproducable field in the order of 100,000+Tesla to modern research?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2
    Who cares about research?! We could float haha... look up Diamagnetic Levitation :)

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    To make humans fly about 50 Tesla should be enough.

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4
    You could safely crash land astronauts on e.g. Mars (like we sent the mars rovers or the Pathfinder) using magnetic fields. When the spacecraft hits the surface, they will be accelerated at perhaps 30 g. But if this force is transferred to the volume of the body in a more or less uniform way (uniform per unit mass), then no stresses will build up in the body. It is similar to being in free fall while accelerating at 30 g in a gravitational field.

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5
    maybe we coud make cosmic rays:
    http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/28268

1000T sounds high..I though the LHC was around ten or so???
    in any case, I bet CERN would love to be able to exchange their high energy and apparently fragile magnets for something more powerful and efficient....

splitting one photon into two photons seems spooky....

7. Oct 11, 2009 #6
    http://solomon.as.utexas.edu/~duncan/magnetar.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook