1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using 5 point charges, finding the charge of q1 and q2 using given force

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows five point charges placed on a line, at intervals of 1 cm. For what values of q1 and q2resultant electrical force exerted on each of the three charges is zero?
    11.gif

2. Relevant equations
    I imagine the law of coulomb is used here, however, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tackle this one, since the resulting force on the given charges is zero. I guess, it gets confusing when you add more than 2 charges. Anyway, anyone have any hints to help me figure this one out?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Haven't got an idea

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    It's the same as adding 2 forces except now you're adding 4!

Think about what direction each force is acting on and draw some pictures. You know that the total force = 0. In other words. The forces acting to the left have to cancel out the forces acting to the right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook