1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a bigger battery for a computer UPS?

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    Hi guys,

I m considering changing the battery to a bigger one so as to increase the backup duration.

The battery that came with it is 12V 7.5 Ah. The battery I m planning to put is a 12 V 100 Ah. Now my question is, will the big battery increase the standby duration without overloading and damaging the hardware in the UPS.And will it charge the bigger battery?

I have an APC Back-UPS ES 500 VA,300 Watts.And having the battery externally is what I had in mind.Thoughts please ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it's a common way of making a decent backup power. Take the electronics from a UPS and hook up a whole bunch of cheap car batteries in parallel.

A couple of important points - the battery supplied with the UPS is probably a deep discharge gel battery, it can be discharged to within say 10-25% of empty without damage. A car battery can only be discharged to 50-60% repeatedly.
    The charging rate will be optomised for the sealed batteries but an unsealed car battery can cope with a faster rate. If you are using an unsealed battery make sure it is well ventilated - explosive hydrogen is given off when it charges,

4. Sep 3, 2008 #3
    what exactly do you mean discharge to 10-25 % without damage and 60 % in case of a car battery.CAn you elaborate on that if you dont mind ?

When I go for multiple batteries, will the input voltage double in both paralell and serial connections assuming I connect two batteries in this case ?Will this also increase the watts that the UPS can handle ?

5. Sep 3, 2008 #4
    Car batteries are not good for medium or low current applications where the current is drawn over a long period of time. They can suffer damage if discharged too deeply. They are really for starting engines. Leisure batteries (for caravans - trailers) are more suitable.

High current batteries are pretty dangerous. If you get a short circuit a heck of big current can flow and there may be a blinding flash like an arc welder. You MUST have proper fusing and/or a circuit breaker. A larger battery might demand a hefty charging current and blow a charger which has been designed for a smaller battery.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?