Using a bimetallic coil to turn a pulley

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
ENgez
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am looking at the possibility of turning a pulley using a bimetallic coil embedded inside.

How can I calculate the thermal "spring constant" of the coil, as a function of geometry and material properties?

Does anyone know of devices with similar actuation mechanisms?

thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ENgez said:
pulley using a bimetallic coil embedded inside.
... and, working against what? Sounds like a metal tape measure, but I can't describe that as a "pulley."
 
I attached an illustration to further clarify.

Will this work? If so, How can i calculate the angle of revolution as a function of temperature gradient?
 
Attachments
  • upload_2015-8-27_0-6-28.png
    upload_2015-8-27_0-6-28.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 677
ENgez said:
similar actuation mechanisms?
http://www.coleparmer.com/Brand/Buy_More_Save_More_on_Bimetal_Thermometers/2262?referred_id=20965&gclid=CNvZ9anWx8cCFUGUfgodiFwCdA
 
Thank you for the reply.

I am aware that bimetallic coils are used to drive the needle in a thermometer.

What I am asking is if this concept can be used to do heavier work, like spin a pulley (wheel), and If there are examples of such mechanisms.